free website stats program Torquing Evo Heads | Harley Davidson Forums

Torquing Evo Heads

I have a question, probably a dumb question but I have to ask.
The difference between the "factory" method and the "James Gasket S&S" method is 28 ft lbs.
I assume that the 90 degrees after 14 ft lbs ("factory") ends up being 28 ft lbs?

VonZipper

The 90 degree factory method will give a very precise stretch of the studs

Brian

I take it that, since stud stretch is a factor, reusing studs is not allowed. True?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Best practice would be to use new studs, however I've reused the studs and used the factory, S&S and Cometic torquing sequences and never had a problem with blowing head gaskets using any of the methods on a number of my builds and others for friends. Making sure the studs are tight is key before reassembly and torquing the heads down. And always make sure to oil the underneath of the head bolt flanges.

When the head bolts are tightened down the studs are still in the elastic area for there size and material and therefore can be reused
I have reused the studs on my softail and sportster without issue

Brian

Thanks All
Studs were new 900 miles ago will re use I think the problem was either faulty material or faulty installation...will have a better idea once I get the heads off this weekend!

VZ

All,
I got the heads off and the gaskets were completly blown! After much investigation searching, consulting, troubleshooting, etc. have pretty much determined that the heads were not correctly torqued when re assembled after the bore, new pistons, cam and reworked rockers! Best guess is that the final torque sequence was either not done or done with faulty tools? One possibility was since done at a shop the heads were left overnight before the final torque sequence (shop policy) and either got missed or rushed and then, completed the reassembly.
I will post an album with the tear down pics and then the reassembly pics once completed.
Thanks all and wish me luck! This is my first EVO!
VonZipper

Looks like you have all the tools.....

Pencil to mark 90* after the initial torque...

That by far for me, is the safest method to use...

Make sure all is Clean (threads) and a drop of oil to lube the bottom of the head bolt against the head.
I wipe oil onto that surface of the bolt, using a oil wet finger. JUST enough to allow smooth torquing on the First torque then mark off 90* and do it in the same torque pattern used.

EVO are Great. I miss my 1997 FXDS.:(

signed....BUBBIE

Back