free website stats program Torque Wrench | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque Wrench

xlcruser

I've been looking around for a Torque Wrench and I'm amazed just how expensive they can be. How important is it to use a torque wrench when working on these bikes, like basic service and maintenance? I still have a lot of Warranty left for the big stuff. The service manual has torque values on every thing.

Many of the parts,even for a simple primary oil change for example are aluminum,which while strong and lightwieght can easily be warped.So unless you have an extremely good feel for things I would suggest using a torque wrench

Very important, many of the bolts are threaded in to aluminum, which if over tightened will lead to stripped bolts....check ebay some deals to be had there.

It is very important to have the torque equal all the way around. Most torque wrenchs will be accurate to within a few inch pounds or foot pounds.

You cousins over there are so lucky to have places like Sears to go and buy stuff like torque wrenches from. It's much more difficult to source them over here without paying an arm and a leg.
Luckily I have a good friend in Kentucky who went to the trouble of shopping at Sears for me and the "Glider Set" is now on its way.:D:D

Waiting on them before doing anything further to the bike.

If you can hold out, Sears always has the 50% off sale the day after X-mas. Last year they had one right around Thanksgiving and I got a in lb and a ft lb for less than $90! I also prefer the clicker type of torque wrenches.

Back