Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by xlcruser, Jun 12, 2009.

1. xlcruser

xlcruser Active Member

I've been looking around for a Torque Wrench and I'm amazed just how expensive they can be. How important is it to use a torque wrench when working on these bikes, like basic service and maintenance? I still have a lot of Warranty left for the big stuff. The service manual has torque values on every thing.

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Many of the parts,even for a simple primary oil change for example are aluminum,which while strong and lightwieght can easily be warped.So unless you have an extremely good feel for things I would suggest using a torque wrench

3. silentflyer

silentflyer Active Member

Very important, many of the bolts are threaded in to aluminum, which if over tightened will lead to stripped bolts....check ebay some deals to be had there.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

It is very important to have the torque equal all the way around. Most torque wrenchs will be accurate to within a few inch pounds or foot pounds.

6. xlcruser

xlcruser Active Member

Thanks Glider for the link, I'll be checking out Sears

Thanks everybody, I guess I'll go shopping

7. elctricstart

elctricstart Member

Yea ,I got both of mine at sears few years back. 1 inch pounds one foot pounds, under $100 I think. You need if you own harley

8. cedarbrook63

cedarbrook63 Junior Member

You cousins over there are so lucky to have places like Sears to go and buy stuff like torque wrenches from. It's much more difficult to source them over here without paying an arm and a leg.
    Luckily I have a good friend in Kentucky who went to the trouble of shopping at Sears for me and the "Glider Set" is now on its way.:D:D

Waiting on them before doing anything further to the bike.

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

Way to go! :s

10. hammerhead pat

hammerhead pat Active Member

If you can hold out, Sears always has the 50% off sale the day after X-mas. Last year they had one right around Thanksgiving and I got a in lb and a ft lb for less than $90! I also prefer the clicker type of torque wrenches.