free website stats program Torque Wrench Storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque Wrench Storage

glider.

BOT Machine
Many misconceptions about the storage of a torque wrench exist as far as lowering the setting before storage. It's important to do as far as the life of the wrench and the proper torque values when using it again.

Causes For Failures In Torque Wrenches

Use: The more often a wrench is used the faster it will wear.

Misuse:
Any measuring instrument that is used for any purpose other than what it was designed for usually will experience premature failure or become suspect in its accuracy (i.e. dropping or using it as a pry bar or a hammer).

Improper Maintenance: Failure to inspect, lubricate, adjust, replace worn parts and failure to re certify to a known traceable standard causes the instrument to become suspect.

Improper Storage: Storing any instrument in a location that has high temperatures, humidity or in a corrosive atmosphere may cause failures.

Most importantly:
Storing adjustable click style wrenches above the lowest setting will cause premature main spring wear. Don't forget to dial the settings back before storing the wrench.

Here's more reading on this topic...

Torque Tips - Metrology Concepts

Torque Wrench Storage

Question:
My question is whether or not when you are finished using a standard click style torque wrench and you run down the wrench, do you A. run it down all the way until the handle stops or B. run it down to the last number on the wrench like a 40-200 inch lbs wrench I would run it down to 40 inch lbs? I have heard of both ways to do it but I am having a hard time locating a reference.

Answer:
After reviewing NAVWEPS 17-1-108, Use, Care and Testing of Torque Tools and NAVEDTRA 14256, Tools and their Uses, I have been unable to find a reference. However, I am familiar with the practice of returning a "click" (also called an "audible" or "micrometer") style torque wrench to its lowest setting. The NAVAIR 17-20MU-07 (calibration procedure) states the following: "Set the Test Instrument to minimum or zero condition before storing". I also found a manufacturer's instruction sheet (below) that refers to the practice of returning the tool to its lowest setting for storage. The main reason for this action is to relieve tension on the inner spring.

Answered by:
Avionics Analyst, Naval Safety Center, Norfolk, VA

Back