free website stats program Torque specs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque specs

B-1B, I don't understand when you say "90% minimum" or shoot for 95%. Lets say my rear axle nut needed to be set to 90-105 ft/lbs. What value would you shoot for. If I understand you correctly, your saying you would tighten it to 95% of 105?

Keep in mind (at least for consumer grade not military) accuracy percentages on torque wrenches are percent of "Full Scale", not "Point of Set" which would give you a horrendous error if you were tightening a nut to 50 ft/lb using a torque wrench that had a 150 ft/lb capacity.
I would have thought in your example - 90 ft lbs was the minimum, and 90% of that would be 81 ftlbs?????

Bill

Here is what i propose to do with both the transmission and the engine oil plugs , since the range for both is 14-21 ft. Lbs. Since my torque wrench is a clicker type 1/2" drive , i will set it at 18 ft.lbs. . Since i don't ever want to over tighten , going by what everyone else has said this would be pretty safe taking into consideration the + or - .04% . Does this sound good to you guys ?

Yes, I am sure you will be fine with doing that.
(BTW it's 4% not .04%)

Yes, I am sure you will be fine with doing that.
(BTW it's 4% not .04%)

Keep in mind the range of the torque wrench you are using, I E if your torque wrench range is say o to 150 ft lbs. Might be better off with inch pounds and converting. Some times a half inch torque wrench on small bolts and drain plugs can be over kill, been using torque wrenches a lot of years and you got to be careful. JMO

My two cents, I always try to stay in the middle on fasteners that are used every service, on older bikes I might use low end and new bikes for installing one time items I use max torque, 1'' axles I do 100ft lbs and drain plugs I do 18 ft lbs, I do use snap-on torque wrenchs and have used craftsman, they just don't last when you're using them everyday for a living.

Back