free website stats program Torque specs | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque specs

BOWHIKER

I printed off the complete torque specs for the softail models . My question is when there is a range , for instance transmission drain plug , 14-21 ft. Lbs , is it best to stay in the middle of that range or stay up towards the top of the range . 14-21 is or seems to be a big difference . Keep in mind this is the one for the 2007 modeles .

Why I don't know but I usually hug the upper number. I think a lot of factors come into play. Pre-used or new hardware, type of thread lubrication, gasket compression etc. Another overlooked variation is torque wrench calibration/tolerance. Clicker style torque wrenches are the worse with accuracy specs of 4%-6% even when new.

I work on jet bombers and was always taught to torque to 90% minimum. I usually shoot for 95% because, like said previously, torque wrenches normally have max of +-4% error when calibrated.

Actually, I a bit the opposite of Hoop and closer to B-1B...using the lower torque setting based on fact all fasteners on the bike are "used" and generally installed "wet" with Locktite liquid/sealer at the time of installation. I am also on the old school, that checks the critical fastener list for good measure as to how things are going.

Personally had too many bad experiences from overtightened fasteners, and rarely a problem with loose fasteners. Just my way and honest opinion...

I work on jet bombers and was always taught to torque to 90% minimum. I usually shoot for 95% because, like said previously, torque wrenches normally have max of +-4% error when calibrated.

B-1B, I don't understand when you say "90% minimum" or shoot for 95%. Lets say my rear axle nut needed to be set to 90-105 ft/lbs. What value would you shoot for. If I understand you correctly, your saying you would tighten it to 95% of 105?

Keep in mind (at least for consumer grade not military) accuracy percentages on torque wrenches are percent of "Full Scale", not "Point of Set" which would give you a horrendous error if you were tightening a nut to 50 ft/lb using a torque wrench that had a 150 ft/lb capacity.

B-1B, I don't understand when you say "90% minimum" or shoot for 95%. Lets say my rear axle nut needed to be set to 90-105 ft/lbs. What value would you shoot for. If I understand you correctly, your saying you would tighten it to 95% of 105?

Keep in mind (at least for consumer grade not military) accuracy percentages on torque wrenches are percent of "Full Scale", not "Point of Set" which would give you a horrendous error if you were tightening a nut to 50 ft/lb using a torque wrench that had a 150 ft/lb capacity.

Looking forward to a reply on this as well, we don't by any chance have some licensed HD mechanics on site, do we ? :D

Here is what i propose to do with both the transmission and the engine oil plugs , since the range for both is 14-21 ft. Lbs. Since my torque wrench is a clicker type 1/2" drive , i will set it at 18 ft.lbs. . Since i don't ever want to over tighten , going by what everyone else has said this would be pretty safe taking into consideration the + or - .04% . Does this sound good to you guys ?

I printed off the complete torque specs for the softail models . My question is when there is a range , for instance transmission drain plug , 14-21 ft. Lbs , is it best to stay in the middle of that range or stay up towards the top of the range . 14-21 is or seems to be a big difference . Keep in mind this is the one for the 2007 modeles .
where did you get that list? I would like to print it out as well.

Thankx - Bill

Back