free website stats program torque specs for fairing halves | Harley Davidson Forums

torque specs for fairing halves

glimmerman

does anyone have a torque number for the fairing halves on an 09/10 ultra? just installed a 3 section pouch and there were no torque numbers. it just says not to overtighten. been there on the rk windshield and had to get another one. took out the screws w/ a torque wrench and it was less than 7 inch/lbs. put them back at 5 inch/lbs and it was way tighter than coming out. don't care about the windshield as much as cracking the fairing. wrench is new and has been calibrated. thanks.

This is out of the 09 service manual:
Tighten the three screws below the windshield to 25-30
in-lbs (2.8-3.4 Nm).
I use a small drop of 243 loctite and snug good, if you over tighten it can cause cracks in the windshield.

Also, if you end up stripping one of the inserts, HD does have replacements. Needless to say, I just tighten mine to a snug fit (not using torque wrench).

Main reason for cracking the windshield is not having it properly aligned before tightening the screws. If the slots aren't perfectly lined up over the inserts on the rider side of the fairing, it's REAL easy to crack the windshield. The crack actually sounds exactly like the torque wrench clicking - ask me how I know that!

I get the 3 screws started and then alternate wiggling the shield and tightening the screws taking a good look into the gap each time to check the alignment.

thank you very much. i did have to do the wiggling thing to get the shield lined up. as soon as i am able to dig out on sunday, i'll get on that and dig out the blue loctite. im used to never seize on everything at work. h-d and loctite is a new ballgame. thanks again.

Back