free website stats program Top Ten Roads to Ride before you die | Harley Davidson Forums

Top Ten Roads to Ride before you die

Every once in a while I read a description in a biker rag about a scenic road every biker should ride before he kicks the bucket.

What is your list of best scenic roads to ride, having done them or planning on?

My short list so far:
1. Trail Ridge Road - through Rocky Mountain NP - done it, absolutely fantastic

2. Bear Tooth Highway - planning on this summer

3. Tail of the Dragon - hear so much about it, but wonder if it's overrated

4. Big Sur Highway - planning on this summer

5. Highway 1 to Key West - feels like riding your bike across the Caribian, blue ocean on either side just feet away.

Bernhard

Here's a short list all in the southeast area #1 Cherohala Skyway #2 Deals Gap @Tail or the Dragon #3Hellbender #4 Blue Ridge Parkway #5 Hi-way 64 along the Ocoee River #6 Just about anywhere in the Great Smokey Mts National Park- Also not in the southeast but great riding and beautiful scenery the Kancamagus highway in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Kind of a morbid call...have no intention of any premature exit and there is no way I can fathom what the top 10 would be, I think different countries would be great, in Europe or Australia for starters. In the States, I take time to ride any distance or go to different places it is the sensation and experiences of just getting there...kind of a live or ride for the moment thing.

I think I'll pick'em one at a time and go on to the next when I've done the one.

I want to spend a few days in Yellowstone this summer seeing all the sites.

Kind of a morbid call...have no intention of any premature exit and there is no way I can fathom what the top 10 would be, I think different countries would be great, in Europe or Australia for starters. In the States, I take time to ride any distance or go to different places it is the sensation and experiences of just getting there...kind of a live or ride for the moment thing.

May sound morbid, but those weren't really my words (but rather the rag I was reading). Don't have any plans of exiting either, but I am always looking for the next destination. Been to most good places in Texas, and now it takes a day to get out and a day to get back home before I get out of the state.
I am planning on a big tour of the Western states in the summer, so I am spending my time now planning and day dreaming.

Bernhard

I have 2...Pacific Coast Hwy and Rt.50 in Nevada

I hadn't heard about Rt50. Can you describe it and what makes it great road?

Bernhard

Here's a short list all in the southeast area #1 Cherohala Skyway #2 Deals Gap @Tail or the Dragon #3Hellbender #4 Blue Ridge Parkway #5 Hi-way 64 along the Ocoee River #6 Just about anywhere in the Great Smokey Mts National Park- Also not in the southeast but great riding and beautiful scenery the Kancamagus highway in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Someday I'll head way east and probably try to take in several of the ones you listed.

Bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:
Every once in a while I read a description in a biker rag about a scenic road every biker should ride before he kicks the bucket.

What is your list of best scenic roads to ride, having done them or planning on?

My short list so far:
1. Trail Ridge Road - through Rocky Mountain NP - done it, absolutely fantastic

2. Bear Tooth Highway - planning on this summer

3. Tail of the Dragon - hear so much about it, but wonder if it's overrated

4. Big Sur Highway - planning on this summer

5. Highway 1 to Key West - feels like riding your bike across the Caribian, blue ocean on either side just feet away.

Bernhard

Bernhard..Big Sur is a great trip but be careful of fallen rock on some of the tighter turns.No guard rail and a long way down.Lots of places to pull over for picture's and breaks.Monteray is a nice little city great food. Hwy 1 to Key West is nice but can be a real drag in the traffic.All it takes is one idiot and the road comes to a dead stop both ways.Take lots of water! Watch out for the Keys deer it will cost you if you hit one.

The Mississippi River should be somewhere on the list. In Wisconsin, it's the 'Great River Road. Pop in some John Hartford if you have a bagger.

I have 2...Pacific Coast Hwy and Rt.50 in Nevada

KingH, there are plenty of roads in California...PCH is basically SoCal side of Highway 1, with Big Sur in the central coast, past the Bay Area, north coast highlands that snakes all the way up past the northern border...even if you went "straight" there are so many diversions, it would take a couple days and well worth it. Plenty of state beaches, bed & breakfasts, KOA's, camping, eucalyptus and redwood tree groves, small towns and large cities with great food and entertainment after the ride, wine tasting, cave splunking, waterfalls/rivers, rafting and...oh yeah plenty of side roads to test your technical riding skills...:bigsmiley12:

Last edited:
Back