free website stats program Top Heavy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Top Heavy

I bet you can ride any bike out there. My first harley was a deuce with forward controls. I'm 5'7 w/32" inseam. I raced mountain bikes for many years, and work a pretty physical job. I feel that some upper body strength is an advantage, it may help some, but I would bet that its more of the balancing and C of G with the bike. I feel that I could get on my hubbies electra glide & ride it comfortably, (if he would let me). :D I never really looked at the sportsers as a first bike, but I had some good friends to guide me & point out that the sporty would not suit me. I'm looking at them now, (I love the olive & black nightster) but I am really just getting comfortable with my deuce after 3 years of riding it. I think the lower C of G will make a huge difference with how you feel on the bike. I have seen my husband ride my bike 'like he stole it' :D and I'm thinking 'wow, that bike is awesome' but he has much more riding experience than I do also. I like the bobs, & my brother had a super glide & I felt that it was a very comfortable ride. (Yes, he let me take it for a spin). Different from my deuce, but smooth & comfortable for the most part. Test ride some different models, you will be surprised.

Last edited:
I too bought a 2003 883 Sportster. This was after just riding a 250 low and light bike. I was almost ready to put it up but decided to get it lowered with shocks and change out the seat which believe it or not got me 3+ inches lower. Made all the difference in the world. Now after riding it for a couple months and like they say, practice, practice, practice I love the bike. Given that I am 53 year old female who had never sat in the drivers seat of a bike before a year ago, I think that is pretty good. And I enjoy it so.

I too bought a 2003 883 Sportster. This was after just riding a 250 low and light bike. I was almost ready to put it up but decided to get it lowered with shocks and change out the seat which believe it or not got me 3+ inches lower. Made all the difference in the world. Now after riding it for a couple months and like they say, practice, practice, practice I love the bike. Given that I am 53 year old female who had never sat in the drivers seat of a bike before a year ago, I think that is pretty good. And I enjoy it so.

Another tip to make the Sporty easier to ride is lighten the clutch pull w/ EZ shift mod ($30), adjusting the clutch & brake levers higher (for small hands) or changing them out w/ straighter ones that provide a shorter reach. Also make sure the shift levers and foot brake are in a position that the feet naturally rest on them lightly with no shin cramping. You may also find the standard Harley 1 to 1 1/4" grips are two large (for small hands) so may need to be changed out as well. Just some thoughts to make the bike even easier to ride. :coffee

Back