free website stats program top end oiling | Harley Davidson Forums

top end oiling

corrigon

Contributor
I am having a problem with not getting enough oil to the rocker shafts. I have new oil pump and lifters and push tubes are open but it is so dry the top of valve is even wearing. I installed a new set of Comp. 850-1 and thought I had my problem fixed. I am going to try a Baisley spring but I was sure my pressure was ok before. Any suggestions? I also checked the breather hose for being open.

I would start by measuring the oil pressure using a mechanical pressure gauge @ idle and higher RPM,, hot & cold.
It may be low.

Hoople has you started in right direction. Once you know that you have the oil pressure you need, then you can start looking at where the obstructions might be.

I also believe there are tappet oil screens (taper cone) on your year engine.
May want to check them.

I also believe there are tappet oil screens (taper cone) on your year engine.
May want to check them.

If this is an EVO the tappet screen Hoople mentioned gets oil first before the tappet blocks do Check for trash in the screen, oil should rise out of the cavity if you have pressure that far, do this with the engine off

Something like what is in this attachment. Someone like Jack would know for sure.

Attachments

• Tappet screen.rtf
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
I will install the new spring and then use a known good gauge to check pressure. Thanks people, hope this does it. Also I neglected to identify my motor, which is a 1999 twin cam. Sorry about that.

I will install the new spring and then use a known good gauge to check pressure. Thanks people, hope this does it. Also I neglected to identify my motor, which is a 1999 twin cam. Sorry about that.

curious have had a cam chain tensioner failure in the past? just wondering if a small piece of the tensioner made its way into your cam plate

curious have had a cam chain tensioner failure in the past? just wondering if a small piece of the tensioner made its way into your cam plate

Or maybe some damage to the oil pump? I really think that a master gauge needs to be used to determine the actual oil pressure. Even if there has not been any cam chain tensioner failure it does not mean that some material has not dislodged and caused damage or clogged something up.

Or maybe some damage to the oil pump? I really think that a master gauge needs to be used to determine the actual oil pressure. Even if there has not been any cam chain tensioner failure it does not mean that some material has not dislodged and caused damage or clogged something up.

i agree with the above^^^^^^

Back