free website stats program top end noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

top end noise

I left my bike with dealer today also,not the dealer that I bought it from that wouldn't even look at it until june 6,I'm hoping that he gets to it the first of the week.This is a smaller dealer that I should have bought my bike from ,instead of going 150 miles away,thinking that a bigger dealer would be better,it ain't.

If you got a noise in the engine,transmission or primary, why is it always recommended that you need to go to a different lubrication? I think most lube that have been approved for motorcycle use do not cause these problems. If a noise develop, most of the time it is human error either by the owner/operator, the manufacturer or repair shops when building or doing modes.
We all have our brands that we use or promote. I see an approved lubricant and being OK for that application.

If you got a noise in the engine,transmission or primary, why is it always recommended that you need to go to a different lubrication? I think most lube that have been approved for motorcycle use do not cause these problems. If a noise develop, most of the time it is human error either by the owner/operator, the manufacturer or repair shops when building or doing modes.
We all have our brands that we use or promote. I see an approved lubricant
as being OK for that application......
Just the way I see it.

A transmission takes "GEAR OIL"

a primary should use a "Wet Clutch Approved lube" and
will usually be called out AS a "Primary oil"

Our Engines should use the right viscosity oil for the job/heat dictated by the HD engineering people who know what they built/designed Need

I Have Found that when Other Tranny Lubes fall short and FAIL, even though they are a top brand "Gear Oil", using Redline Heavy ShockProof will QUIET the tranny down.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

A transmission takes "GEAR OIL"

a primary should use a "Wet Clutch Approved lube" and
will usually be called out AS a "Primary oil"

Our Engines should use the right viscosity oil for the job/heat dictated by the HD engineering people who know what they built/designed Need

I Have Found that when Other Tranny Lubes fall short and FAIL, even though they are a top brand "Gear Oil", using Redline Heavy ShockProof will QUIET the tranny down.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

I remember back in the day when shade tree car dealers would put sawdusk in a rear end to stop it from roaring. It stop the roaring but did not correct the problem...

It must be one of the worlds best kept secrets. I read and hear of an awfull lot of 96 and 103 engines with the same problem (including mine) So far have heard no real solution. Suggestions I have heard so far....heavy dino oil...tried it....helped a little.
Adjustable push rods...helped a little. Tighten the "self adjusting primary chain"....helped a little. Dealership advice.."Ride it, enjoy. Come back if it gets worse."
I see guys starting up and launching...in one motion, so nobody hears the embarrassing clatter as they leave the parkin lot.
I have spent a few hundred dollars just masking this noise. This week I will probably upgrade to SE compensator and replace the bolt...which is tight..but does not seem to be perfectly straight. It has about 1/32 of an inch wobble. Made a contraption and measured it with a tire tread gauge clamped to inner cover. Measured while spinning starter. I dont know if that much wobble is normal but won't be able to sleep if I don't replace it.
My chain tension measures 5/8 upward movement on one side. Rotate it half way around..it measures 7/8. I wonder if that is causing the noise...and if it is correctable?
What else do you guys recomend....while I am in there. SE clutch spring? New chain?

I am probably wrong but had a customer in the other day complaiining about what he thought was top end noise had 41,000 on 07 flhtcui I road the bike and iit did seem to be making top end noisebut also notiiced some free play in the clutch and that the noise woulld change with using the clutch so I adjusted the clutch and the noise cleared he was very pleased just a thought.

Thanks, I adjusted my clutch about 300 miles ago. My noise doesn't change when i use the clutch. It is there in neutral and all gears. It is queit when I run just above lugging. But noisey from about 2500 to 3500 rpms (guessing, no tach). In sixth gear with some load on the engine...65 to 75 mph it sounds great. Riding in town or through parks I have to listen to it in all gears. (Unless I run close to lugging...or ride like a maniac).
I really appreciate all the help I get here. if a suggestion doesn't help my current problem...I am sure it will be good to know in the future.
IMO the greatest wealth of HD experience and knowledge..on the planet..can be found right here on HDtalking. No one appreciates it more than me.

well I did my 5k service last week, used all redline products and what a huge difference in the tranny. The top end noise is still there and seems like its getting a little worse. only got to do about 300 miles this weekend, but it sounds like all the push rods are just ever so loose, its not clankng or clunking just light tapping, but it wasnt like that 3k miles ago, so I guess its back to the stealership this week, and see what they have to say again.

Back