free website stats program top end noise | Harley Davidson Forums

top end noise

Midnight Reign

2012 SG just hit 5k was out riding saturday and picked up some top end noise, kinda sounds like loose valve train. At first I thought it was just because it was hot hat day, but it is still noisey even when cold and doesnt really go away with increase in engine rpm. Any one else having this issue with a 103 ?

Are there ANY modifications from stock?
What oil do you use weight and brand?
How hot is the outside temps?

Is it LOUD or just loud?
Single tapping or Klanking?

Your HD dealer should be a good one to ask as it is still under warranty.

NO they all don't do it.

signed....BUBBIE

NO mods at all, dead bone stock. really loud at idle, quiets a small bit with increase in engine rpm. Air temp was high 80's. RevTech 20/50 MTP in all three holes, going to switch to Red Line products next oil change. Have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer

I have 2012 flhr 103,when it started getting noisey,I was running 60 so I thought that it could be lugging so I shifted down to fifth gear.I don't think that it helped. When I got home it sat for three hours before I tried it again and it was really noisey so I turned it off.About that time the wife walked up and wanted to hear it,so I cranked it and it ran normal,yesterday it ran noisey.I called the dealer,the service manager told me not to ride it and he could look at it on June 6.I don't know about this 9 day wait,what do people do while half way across the country ,is this the kind of service I have to look forward to?

NO mods at all, dead bone stock. really loud at idle, quiets a small bit with increase in engine rpm. Air temp was high 80's. RevTech 20/50 MTP in all three holes, going to switch to Red Line products next oil change. Have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer

I would suggest:

20/60 redline for the engine
MTL redline for the primary
Redline ShockProof Heavy for the tranny. Red Line Synthetic Oil - ShockProof® Gear Oils - Heavy ShockProof®

Never any Metal to Metal contact using this product...

Take a look above Link and see

signed....BUBBIE

Yes that is the kind of service to expect from most dealers, If you were on the road and broke down they can sometimes get you in sooner. Fortuneatly I have another bike I can ride but you can bet I wont tell the dealer that, as far as they know this is my only transportation. Beside I have a couple long trips coming up soon, and as much as I love my old softail, its just too ignorant for long trips now I have a nice cushy geezer glide. I asked if there were any known issues with this motor and was told no. Thats why I came here to ask. I just hope they dont keep my ride tied up for weeks.

Bubbie, why the 20/60 ? because the new bikes run so lean and hot ? I was gonna use the 20/50 because thats what I have in stock at my shop, do you really think there is that much difference between the 20/50 and the 20/60 ?

more of a ticking than clanking

Will be installing the Dobeck gen 4 as soon as I get the $$ together, that along with a K&N filter and some slip-ons is the plan. I'm just not looking forward to the loss in fuel economy I anticipate. Kinda got used to the 60+ mpg I was getting out of my softail

PLow Boy how many miles on your 103 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is the kind of service to expect from most dealers, If you were on the road and broke down they can sometimes get you in sooner. Fortuneatly I have another bike I can ride but you can bet I wont tell the dealer that, as far as they know this is my only transportation. Beside I have a couple long trips coming up soon, and as much as I love my old softail, its just too ignorant for long trips now I have a nice cushy geezer glide. I asked if there were any known issues with this motor and was told no. Thats why I came here to ask. I just hope they dont keep my ride tied up for weeks.

Bubbie, why the 20/60 ? because the new bikes run so lean and hot ? I was gonna use the 20/50 because thats what I have in stock at my shop, do you really think there is that much difference between the 20/50 and the 20/60 ?

more of a ticking than clanking

Will be installing the Dobeck gen 4 as soon as I get the $$ together, that along with a K&N filter and some slip-ons is the plan. I'm just not looking forward to the loss in fuel economy I anticipate. Kinda got used to the 60+ mpg I was getting out of my softail

PLow Boy how many miles on your 103 ?

I use the 20/50 weight Redline, I have used the 20/60 but just thought it MIGHT better fit your application IF running HOT.

20/50 and 20/60 ... the difference is that 60 remains a 20 weight longer or requires more heat to make it Lower than a 20 weight than 50.

I think the Redline 20/50 will do just fine.

I'm doing a beta gen4 right now for Dobecks on my 96" 09 FLHR with stage-one then now using SE255 cams. I can set it to get 48/50 but prefer the setting to get 45/47 MPG... 2 up and loaded down.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Midnight I have just over 8000,it has just started real hard taping.I'm not trying to say that I know what the problem is but it sounds like may be a valve.I have a new exhaust,aircleaner and a gen3 from Dobeck,but scared to put them on until I get this fixed.I know this isn't a post for tuners but I really wanted a gen4, could bubbie direct me to a post that would explain why a gen4 might not be better for my bike than the gen 3.

PLow Boy, sounds like what I am experienceing, had it at the stealership yesterday for the brake switch recall, and to diagnose the top end noise. Will do my 5k service today, dealer said to do the service and see if it quiets down any and to monitor it to see if it gets any worse, and bring it back if it does. Not quite the answer I was looking for but at least it is now on record so there should not be any contest in regards to warrenty issues in the future. Like you I believeit is a valve issue. will keep you posted as to how things progress.

Back