free website stats program Tools for your bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tools for your bike

If you want to get choked real fast with wrenching on your ride use junk tools, rounded bolt heads, stripped allen heads etc etc etc gets old pretty quick. Dont buy cheep buy quality.

I agree with Chopper...when doing this stuff for a living, it was pretty handy to have a truck come around and replace my worn/broken tools. But now when I am out and about as a DIYer...Craftsman tools are mighty hard to beat, and if the tool is needed for a specific one time job only, the light duty Harbor Freight stuff will do...because it is not for a living that I work on my stuff...it is survival, where cost and convenience matters. I may buy Snap-On, MAC and others, but now it is strictly if they do a superior job and I intend to keep it around in heavy use for a long time only. My tools box is a potpourri of brand name tools like Crescent, Proto, SK, Thorsen, and countless others. I also pickup tools that are no longer made, strictly because they work better than the new ones at up to 5x savings in time and money.

Plumbing being a good example, old tools work great, new tools have too long pipe wrench handle with insufficient adjustment range for close quarter work, old style had no problems. Another example Sears and Harbor Freight started carrying long necked/handle pliers for getting into tight places and micro adjusting ratchet spanners now at or under $20 for a set. Snap on you had to pay closer to $150 for the same, yeah the chrome is not as thick or may finish not as trick, but Craftsman still guaranteed, Harbor Freight may not last as long, but try to get by without in some repair circumstances, is a waste of your time and effort (bruised knuckles and all).

You cannot beat Craftsman tools. I once found an adjustable wrench on the side of the road that looked like it had been there for YEARS. It was rusted to the point of useless but you could stil see the craftsman stamp on it. I walked into a Sears one day handed it to them at the counter and the nice gentleman looked at it and said Damn this is fouled up. I said YUP it sure is, 3 minutes later I walked out with my brand new adjustable wrench in my hand.

Love it. The Craftsmans may not be the "best" but does it matter if you can just replace any tool that you happen to break?:newsmile011:

The only tools I buy are Craftsman. You can not beat the fact that they stand behind there product and if you have problems they replace it hands down no question asked.

I just bought a set of 5 piece Torx Set from Sears, partially because it was priced at the cost of any two pieces but mostly as it has the hard-to-find 27 size. Got it home and the 27 didn't fit, the factory had substituted a size 30.

Took it back and asked they swap the 30 for a 27 off the shelf. The clerk couldn't authorize that but a supervisor could, and while they didn't seem thrilled to do so, made the swap.

I'll keep buying the Craftsman tools, as I find the need. Never had a problem with one and I know they stand behind their product.

Back