free website stats program Tools for my Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

Tools for my Harley

DDogg

O.K. I know Glider, Smitty, and Hobbit have a tool box full of tools. I don't. I have bought a new FatBob and now I'd like to do the work and maintenance myself. This may be a ridiculous question but what tools do I need specifically for my bike. I'm not familiar with all the different type of screws and bolt heads on the bike. What sizes and what types of wrenches and screw drivers, T wrenches do I need for my Harley. I don't want to go out and buy a tool set, finding out later I don't have this type of wrench or those star screw drivers. I surely don't want to start stripping heads because I put a screw driver in one of those star heads. I also need a torque wrench. Smitty has given me a list of what he has. Those Harley tool kits are not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a list of tools that basically covers all blots, screws, clips, etc. Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a few off the top of my head. Most times a set from someplace like sears will have most of the tools you need.

1/2" socket set
3/8'' drive socket set
1/4" socket set
Phillips screwdriver set
Straight tip screwdriver set
Allen wrenches, metric and SAE
Torx set including the #27
Snap ring pliers
Box & open ended wrench sets in SAE and Metric
Torque wrenches Torque Wrench Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community
"T" handle allen wrench set
Assorted pliers
12 volt test light and a Digital volt/ohm meter

These will get you going and I'm sure there's some more needed that will be added.

Here's a few off the top of my head. Most times a set from someplace like sears will have most of the tools you need.

1/2" socket set
3/8'' drive socket set
1/4" socket set
Phillips screwdriver set
Straight tip screwdriver set
Allen wrenches, metric and SAE
Torx set including the #27
Snap ring pliers
Box & open ended wrench sets in SAE and Metric
Torque wrenches Torque Wrench Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community
"T" handle allen wrench set
Assorted pliers
12 volt test light and a Digital volt/ohm meter

These will get you going and I'm sure there's some more needed that will be added.

Again, thanks for your help. Like I said, I have some tools, but I know I don't have some of the strange looking wrench heads. I'm sure I'll run into something I won't have but this is a good start and I know I'm not buying something I'll never use. Appreciated greatly and ride safe.

... and (OK, I know - broken record!!) don't forget the HD Factory Service Manual for your model and year!!

The last thing you need to consider is a sixteen pound sledge hammer. This is for the parts you buy from HD that don't work and they won't take back. It is a great stress reliever!

TQ

... and (OK, I know - broken record!!) don't forget the HD Factory Service Manual for your model and year!!

The last thing you need to consider is a sixteen pound sledge hammer. This is for the parts you buy from HD that don't work and they won't take back. It is a great stress reliever!

TQ

Thanks and yes I do have the manual. Question, I just posted under the Dyna's about Catalytic Convertor's on the 2008 FatBob. I read in my manual that all Dyna's have a Convertor. I don't think mine does. Any feed back? Is my manual full of it.

Not sure about the cats in that bike, if the manual says it has it, I would tend to believe it does. As far as I knew, only the CVO big bikes had them but it's hard to keep up with the MOCO with all their changes.

Thanks and yes I do have the manual. Question, I just posted under the Dyna's about Catalytic Convertor's on the 2008 FatBob. I read in my manual that all Dyna's have a Convertor. I don't think mine does. Any feed back? Is my manual full of it.

I would bet that any catconv are in the cans. If you are doing a Stage 1, you will probably be changing out the slip-ons and the breather. Then decide what fuel manager you want (hint - TFI) and there ya go. Problem solved. You can cross the catconv off the list of things to worry about.

TQ

I would bet that any catconv are in the cans. If you are doing a Stage 1, you will probably be changing out the slip-ons and the breather. Then decide what fuel manager you want (hint - TFI) and there ya go. Problem solved. You can cross the catconv off the list of things to worry about.

TQ

That's exactly where I was going. Thanks for your input. I'd still like to know for sure if the 2008 FatBob has a Catalytic Convertor. I've read where Harley got some slack and left it off the FatBob. I've read otherwise also. Naturally I haven't tried to look, I will when I do the Stage 1, but I don't understand all the conflicting answers.

---------- DDogg edit/added post 1 minutes and 53 seconds later ----------

Not sure about the cats in that bike, if the manual says it has it, I would tend to believe it does. As far as I knew, only the CVO big bikes had them but it's hard to keep up with the MOCO with all their changes.

I agree, but the MOCO should have the correct information in the manual. Just can't believe they'd print false data.

Last edited:
There's been other "miss prints" in the manuals before too.

Yup, manuals are subject to human error. The 06 Dyna manual mixed up which plug was the tranny fluid and which one was the oil...thankfully I was not the one that discovered that one.

Last edited:
Back