free website stats program Toolin Around South Park Colorado | Harley Davidson Forums

Toolin Around South Park Colorado

sfarson

Some pics from last week's lunchtime scoot in the neighborhood...

First, I paused on the south side of nearby Kenosha Pass. The high altitude meadows of South Park are below...
flhxkenosha.jpg

Brought the H-D closer to the Mosquito Range. That's 13,370ft. Mt. Guyot on the right. Leaves on the aspen trees have yet to appear at this altitude. Big time wilderness is all around. Heard tales at the nearby country general store of a mountain lion taking newborn horses...
flhxmichigan.jpg

The second pass to scoot over is Red Hill Pass. Can see vehicles climbing the grade in the distance. The massive 14,000ft.+ sentinels of Mt. Bross and Mt. Lincoln stand guard on the horizon...
redhill.jpg

My county seat town of Fairplay is in the distance. Can see the small community is not that far below timberline. The town name comes from founders proclaiming they would "play fair" with 19th century miners looking for goods, supplies, and equitable dealings with their mined gold. Until about ten years ago, this county about the size of Rhode Island did not have a single stop light. Now there are two. Fortunately, in the 1990's my phone line was upgraded from a four party line to a single party...
flhxco91.jpg

Here's Mt. Silverheels. This shapely 13,822ft. peak was named after a Fairplay dance hall lady who looked after, and took care of the miners when a smallpox epidemic swept through the mining camps. Many miners credited her loving care with their survival. She eventually contracted the disfiguring disease and withdrew to her home. The grateful miners took up a collection for this special lady, but found her cabin empty when they visited. She was never seen again, but some report seeing her ghostly apparition tending the graves of miners at the Buckskin Joe cemetery a few miles north of Fairplay. Anyway, this care giving dance hall lady wore... silver heels...

silverheels.jpg

I'm getting closer to the lunchtime destination, but pause before a spur of the Mosquito Range...
flhxco92.jpg

I made a u-turn for this pic when I saw bison in an unencumbered field of immense dimensions. The Ute Indians would have seen a scene just like this 150 - 200 years ago. Not a sight of man, or man's interventions anywhere, in any direction. The last wild bison in Colorado was shot nearby in the year 1901. Not a whole lot has changed here since the Utes rode their ponies here, just like I'm riding an iron horse here. There's something appropriate about this transportation choice. That's Pikes Peak peering over the rumpled carpet of prairie grass...
bison.jpg

And just a few miles further, a small herd of fleet-footed pronghorn antelope resist the temptation to flee as the rumbling big twin awaits the image capture...
pronghorn.jpg

If you're interested in raising some cattle, or just settling into a place and area where the hands of the clock turn slowly, this historic homestead is for sale...
homestead.jpg

And pausing for lunch outside, while the other patrons are inside. What is it about bikers enjoying the outdoors? Rita really enjoys motorcyclists, and she makes a killer BLT. She always greets those she knows with a hug, and she says farewell with the same kind of squeeze. Kinda nice if you ask me. I try to make it here 1-2x a month. A sweet scoot today, made possible and perfectly so, by the legend from Milwaukee...
ritas.jpg

Great chronicle sfarson! This was told like a photo-journalist, way to go! I will look forward to your next post!

Great chronicle sfarson! This was told like a photo-journalist, way to go! I will look forward to your next post!

Hey thanks all! It was a good way to spend a day. GG... I think the writer in me came out a bit for this post. Just finished a massive book on motorcycling Colorado, sending it to the publisher recently. Will be at Amazon, dealers, etc. in the autumn. 250+ roads/rides, 1000+ images, onboard videos of every road, history, how to ride them, where to go, etc.

Good riding all in 2010!

Steve

How far is dove creek form there? I just might have to take a trip to visit my sister.

scuba... Dove Creek is waaaay out on the western edge of the state, NW of Cortez. This area is in the middle of the state. Find the town of Fairplay on a map and you would be at ground zero for the ride of this thread.

That said, I capture the Dove Creek area well in the book. Visit your sister and enjoy the fantastic riding north of Cortez, including the San Juan Skyway, Slick Rock, Dolores Canyon/Gateway, etc.!

saw this and all i got was the theme tuen to South Park rattling round my head, then i saw the pics and WOW i want to be there

Yeah, the writers of South Park are from a town about 15 miles from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sfarson, beautiful pictures and nice post...! Have to say that you may want to resize those pictures to 800 x 600 size...else Glider may remove them...which would be a real shame! If you register to Photobucket they offer free storage and Edit mode that will resize them automatically, then copy the 4th image option into your post. (Don't move the pix from Photobucket or the link will go dead). :s

Back