tool question for 1100 sporty

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by bubbu, Apr 3, 2014.

1. bubbu

bubbu Member

I have a 1987 1100 sporty. I was wondering what tool to use to get my plug off to check the primary chain? It looks like a chevy insignia. Also tool to get my ignition out of the cover so I can wire in a voltmeter to the switch. The other and final question is about the choke knob, is that just screwed on the end? Would like to replace with a chrome one. Thanks

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

3. bubbu

bubbu Member

Thanks Jack, any idea on my other issues?

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

On my '87 Sportster I used a 3/8" or 1/2" drive extention to remove the inspection plug.
    It works better if you grind the end flat so it doesn't try to jump out.
    Some choke knobs are held on with set screws. If yours doesn't have a set screw, it screws off. Use a crescent wrench to hold the shaft. BE careful tightening the plastic knob that holds the knob in the bracket, they break EASY.

5. Jack Klarich

I think the outer collar on the switch spins off, if not you can unbolt the whole assembly to gain acres to the wires on the back of the switch, do this with the battery disconnected, the primary plug can also be removed with the end of a heavy file if you are creative, a drag link socket also works, you can get one at a good automotive supply

6. Jack Klarich

[​IMG] Have a look here

7. Jack Klarich

[​IMG] Here is your choke knob, as Pete said be careful the knob and housing are plastic

8. bubbu

bubbu Member

Thanks guys, don't know why I didn't just go to the exploded view in the first place, duh. Thanks again

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The outer nut on the ignition switch does spin off I use a large sharp nose pliers to get into 2 of the slots to get it moving then it is just by hand

Brian

10. bubbu

bubbu Member

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.