free website stats program Tool Box | Harley Davidson Forums

Tool Box

09ultra

Banned
Reading the thread about finding a #27 torx, makes me think of what other out of the norm tools we may need. I do have my manual and expect to do all I can to save some cash but more importantly to learn my bike. Can all you wrenches put together a "Must Have" list for us day to day guys? Especially the out of ordinary tools you find handy. I don't mean for overhauling engines, but for more than oil changes. I think lots of us here would like to have a decent tool selection to learn our bikes. But I know the typical tool box is insufficient. I look forward to your advice.:D

Torque Wrench
Long Allen Bits i posted a pic in one of the DIY post i made lately..
Torx Bits for a ratchet not just hand drivers
A Jack is nice
A good oil filter wrench on that works on a ratchet
there is a new filter wrench but i didnt see who it was made by totally circles end of filter and has a drain plug wrench built in .. the filter part is what i liked look like it would work well

Thats all i can think of for now

A couple I can think of.
An impact driver.Sometimes torx and allen bolts like to strip even with the correct socket.This tool can get you out of a jam.
A couple of different legnth wobble extensions 1/4 inch for those tough to reach areas.
A metric tap and die set.Pricey but invaluable when you need it.Ever tried starting a bolt and realize it wasnt on straight and now the threads are ruined?
Snap on has just come out with an adjustable legnth extension.Pretty neat for hard to reach areas where you dont have quite the right extension.

Harley now is like GM was back in 1985 half the bolts are metric the other half imperial:(

Are the torx metric threads? I haven't run into any metric bolts on my 01 Road King that I know of or did the half metric half imperial come in later years?

I suggested only a metric tap and die set because a quality set is pricey.More and more bolts are metric on your HD and currently 0 bolts on any automobile are SAE.Its a trend that is continuing so if youre dropping the money for a good set, metric is the way to go.

Torx is still simply a bolt.That Ford commercial where they hang there truck from a bed bolt.Thats a t55 torx plus and its a metric thread.

I have SAE on my Avalanche and Jeep Commander. Granted it's a mixed bag.

Not counting pipe thread and lug nuts.Youre Chevy is completely made of metric threaded bolts and platic clips.Ive done several frame swaps on full size Chevy's over the last 2 years.The Jeep "Chrysler" is the same except they use plastic rivets where bolts should be.You can dismantle these vehicles entirely without ever grabbing an SAE wrench.Even the self tapping bolts are metric 7mm on the Chevy's.Dont mistake a 13mm for a sloppy 1/2".

Back