free website stats program Too Tight? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Too Tight?

I found this post by our residential expert Glider. This is what he uses.

I've seen a few people asking which torque wrench would be suggested for working on my bike, this information may be of help to some, they are sears units and a good value for the dollar.

Here's what I have

TOOL # 8000733592- 1/2 inch drive- 25-250 FOOT lbs- $109.99- MODEL #944597 Digital unit, real nice to work with.

Tool # 4030681248- 3/8 inch drive-20-150 FOOT lbs. - $74.99- MODEL #944595
Both made by craftsman, good units, both are the clicker types

Tool- 3/8 inch drive- 25-250 INCH pounds- $74.99 -Model #944593

Don't forget to get the case to protect them.

If you need inch pounds , there are 12 Inch pounds in 1 foot pound.

Also the #27 torx bit usually does not come in the sets and must be purchased seperately, but is used very much on the harleys. Don't make the mistake of using a #25 torx as it will only strip out the bolt heads

will have to check those out when i do my heritage as my sporty had the copper washers?

maybe earlier models but on my 08 they are just a oring not a copper washer bet your new ride will be same as mine

Thanks dangerdan. 12 Inch pounds in 1 foot pound will be heplfull.

I found this post by our residential expert Glider. This is what he uses.

Also the #27 torx bit usually does not come in the sets and must be purchased seperately, but is used very much on the harleys. Don't make the mistake of using a #25 torx as it will only strip out the bolt heads

How's this for concise answers:

1) Get a torque wrench
2) Go by the oil dipstick, not the manual

Sorry to hear the bike went down but if no real damage, as you say, then chalk it up to experience and at least now that's over with!

Thanks , will get a IN LBS torque Wrench this week.

I was lucky, just backing it up and tried my best to keep it from falling. Could not stop it, but slowed the fall down and it just kinda landed on the crash bars. Looked and did not see any problems with the bars or bike. Now I know to look for oil before I park/step.

I have a couple Inch # Torque wrenches the thing i dislike on them is the click isnt as feelable or audible as on my ft #'s .. Im thinking one of them ones that flash the light and beep instead would be cool for working on the Bike

I spent a fortune on my SnapOn's. The click is audible and can be felt.
IMHO that they are worth every penny.

The money spent and quality does matter.. the ones i use were supplyed by work not the best but i dont use them every day i might use them once a year so they didnt go all out

The main reasons for using a torque wrench is to keep you from exceeding the load rating of the fastener, and to allow for the consistant and repeatible tightening of fasteners retaining a multi-fastener item, ie. head bolts, cover bolts etc.
Consistant & repeatible are the key words here.
Also, it should be noted that the condition of the fastener, when installed, will have an effect on this consistancy & repeatibility. When installing fasteners, it will make a difference in the torque applied if the fasteners are dry, or oiled. Or if they are coated with antisieze or locktite.
What you need to insure is that all fasteners, holding the same item, are installed under the same conditions.

Back