free website stats program Too Tight? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too Tight?

Sgt York

I just did the 5K service on my 2007 Electric Glide and changed the oil in all three holes. I did not realize that the case was alumina (sp). I might have tightened the drain plugs too tight after reading some of the post here. I went back out and loosen the drain plugs and then just tighten them back up, but not real tight like I did at first.

The question is, what damaged could I have done. I a little freaked out about this as I have waited years to get a Electric Glide and now in two weeks I might have messed it up.

Second question is the service manual states 4 qts of engine oil and I put a little over 3 ½. I had a Sportster about 3 years ago and if I put the amount of oil in that the dealer told me to it would blow out the air cleaner. So I put about a ½ quart less and that seemed to work. Is this a problem?

Thanks

you could crack the oil pan or strip primary cover .. you would know if ya did it..

3 1/2 is about right as you still have oil in the passages pump and lifters .. what did the dipstick say?

you would know if you have cracked the cases as the noise is very distinict sounds like a bolt cracking the head off.
you should be good to go as long as a new crush/copper washer was used on the reinstallation

?? I didnt have any crush washers on mine when i did the oil change mine just had the o-rings

Thanks. I am having a bad day as it was. I was taking the clutch cover off and messed one of the torx bolts up and I was using a number 27. It slipped and I had to drive to Jackson to get new bolts which is about 45 miles away.

While in Jackson I stopped at a Autozone. I had not started the bike yet but was pushing it back up out of the spot it was in when I stepped on a big oil spill that I did not see. My foot slipped and down the bike went. No real damage except to my pride.

Just one of days that everything goes wrong. And after reading about the drin plugs, I got concerned!!!

BTW, mine have rubber oil rings and what looks like pipe dope.

sorry UK lingo we call the copper o-ring on the drain plugs crush washers

no copper o ring either.. just a black o ring with the liquid teflon

I know what the copper crush washers are used to see them a lot in motors i worked on

I also have a tendency to over tighten.

To prevent this, get a manual and a torque wrentch.

I am a novice mechanic and now own 3 torque wrentches that range from 2 in lbs to 150 ft lbs.
I torque every nut and bolts as per the HD manual.
If your going to work on your bike this is a must tool.

I am a novice mechanic and now own 3 torque wrentches that range from 2 in lbs to 150 ft lbs.

I have a couple Inch # Torque wrenches the thing i dislike on them is the click isnt as feelable or audible as on my ft #'s .. Im thinking one of them ones that flash the light and beep instead would be cool for working on the Bike

I did buy the manual but my torque wrench is in ft lbs. I guess I'll have to get a in lbs wrench. Where is a good place to get one?

The first time it was about a 1/8 to a 1/4 low. After driving to Jackson and back it was at the full mark

you could crack the oil pan or strip primary cover .. you would know if ya did it..

3 1/2 is about right as you still have oil in the passages pump and lifters .. what did the dipstick say?

I did buy the manual but my torque wrench is in ft lbs. I guess I'll have to get a in lbs wrench. Where is a good place to get one?

12 in lbs = 1 ft lb

If the the lowest range on your torque meter is 10 ft lbs that equals 120 in lbs

I own SnapOn, Sears also has good torque wrentch.

Im not 100 % sure but there may be a self help section on torque wrentches on this site

Back