free website stats program Too much slack in throttle idle cable? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too much slack in throttle idle cable?

Sky Hook

The throttle on my '05 CVO Electra Glide has about 1/4 turn of slack. I tried to adjust the throttle and idle cables per the instructions in the manual (for cruise-equipped bike) but I cannot get all the slack out of the idle cable. Looks like maybe 2 inches of extra slack. Any ideas?

Are you sure you are adjusting the proper cable? Has the cable or anything else been replaced recently?

2" of extra slack means something isn't right with the cables.

No cables replaced. The throttle grip went from 1/4" of free play to over an inch of free play. I removed the handlebar switch assembly to lube the cables before adjusting and found lots of free play in the idle cable (more than I could adjust out).

No cables replaced. The throttle grip went from 1/4" of free play to over an inch of free play. I removed the handlebar switch assembly to lube the cables before adjusting and found lots of free play in the idle cable (more than I could adjust out).

Maybe the cables slipped out of the housing?

The cable ends are placed correctly into the brass ferrules at the grip. The bike is rideable and the cruise control works. Just that problem with the idle cable. I didn't attempt to pull it out thru the handlebar switch assembly. Wonder if it's broken?

The cable ends are placed correctly into the brass ferrules at the grip. The bike is rideable and the cruise control works. Just that problem with the idle cable. I didn't attempt to pull it out thru the handlebar switch assembly. Wonder if it's broken?

2 cables push pull system, possible one is bad

Just my 2 cents.
Is Cable lash inialization required on this bike and is this a mechanical cruise cable?
If yes then the following step may be required

The tolerance stack-ups are intended to result in a cable that
is too long. The extra cable length is then taken up upon execution
of the Cable Lash Initialization routine. During the routine,
the system calculates the number of “motor steps” the
cable is pulled before the throttle plates are moved (a maximum
of 200 motor steps equivalent to 1.2 inches or 31 mm).
This information is then stored in permanent memory.

Just my 2 cents.
Is Cable lash inialization required on this bike and is this a mechanical cruise cable?
If yes then the following step may be required

The tolerance stack-ups are intended to result in a cable that
is too long. The extra cable length is then taken up upon execution
of the Cable Lash Initialization routine. During the routine,
the system calculates the number of “motor steps” the
cable is pulled before the throttle plates are moved (a maximum
of 200 motor steps equivalent to 1.2 inches or 31 mm).
This information is then stored in permanent memory.
Thanks, Dan. Yes, I tried the cable lash initialization and it seemed to work (I heard the RPMs change during the procedure). But unfortunately no change in the length of the idle cable. I guess I'll remove the cap on the handlebar switch assembly and pull on the cable to see if it's attached or broken.

The slack in throttle cables has nothing to do with cruise,the way the cruise works is the push cable when throttle is rolled off opens a switch in the cable turning cruise off. The pull cable has slack you would notice in throttle grip. If you followed this procedure (loosen both cables completly adjust pull cable to the point that you get wide open at carb/throttle body,then adj push cable for amount of slack desired,if you still have too much slack and cant get it out suspect push cable assuming you can still open the throttle probably the cruise wont shut off if that cable is broken..

Sorry meant push cable causes slack..

Last edited by a moderator:
The slack in throttle cables has nothing to do with cruise,the way the cruise works is the push cable when throttle is rolled off opens a switch in the cable turning cruise off. The pull cable has slack you would notice in throttle grip. If you followed this procedure (loosen both cables completly adjust pull cable to the point that you get wide open at carb/throttle body,then adj push cable for amount of slack desired,if you still have too much slack and cant get it out suspect push cable assuming you can still open the throttle probably the cruise wont shut off if that cable is broken..

Sorry meant push cable causes slack..
You may be on to something, Tom. The cruise will operate and hold speed but will not shut off by rolling the throttle off. I haven't gotten a chance to check for a broken cable- that's next.

Back