Too Much "Meat" On New Pads?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by kenshapiro2002, Feb 18, 2013.

1. kenshapiro2002

kenshapiro2002 Member

Installing new pads on my PM rear caliper on my '93 FXR. Pistons are completely compressed and Instill can't get the new pads in. So, I break out the calipers and sure enough...there's .084" that needs to come off the pads just to make them fit, and at that amount there wont be any room to get them off the disc. I figure I need to take an 1/8" to a 1/16" off of each pad. Anybody ever have to do that to make new pads fit?

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure you got the correct pads for your model/year?

TQ

3. kenshapiro2002

kenshapiro2002 Member

PM told me I needed a 125x4R 4 Pot. The ones i have here are labeled 11mm. I think they also make an 8mm...gotta do some more research. That would be perfect.

4. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

You will not have to shave the pads if there made for your bike, sounds like you have the wrong ones.

5. kenshapiro2002

kenshapiro2002 Member

Yeah...wrong ones. Just got off the phone with Performance Machine. The 11mm pads were some old race application. The ones I need are 7.8mm. Drag Specialties got rid of a bunch of these about two years ago, and some less than honest eBay dealers scooped them up for a song and sold them to unsuspecting shmucks like yours truly ! The correct ones are now on the way.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

:s Best of luck to you:s Can you cross reference those pads with the part number when you get the right ones? Just a thought for the future:s

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Ken; Thanks for posting that info for us. Subtle differences like mfg. pad thicknesses aren't commonly known.