free website stats program Too many miles? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too many miles?

noob1989

2001 Fatboy with 30K miles

I am looking for my first bike. Grew up with my dad driving a Fatboy so I am sorta partial to them. Found one that I really like and is in my price range but has 30,000 miles on it. Is that something to worry about?

Thank you for any help ya'll can offer

30,000 miles isn't much if properly maintained IMO. My 07 has almost 100,000 miles and still runs strong, doesn't burn oil. I ride it hard, but keep up on my maintenance.

Has anyone checked or changed the cam chain tensioner shoes. They could be still good, eventually they will wear down. My 04 had 23,000 on them and they were still good.

I really appreciate all the advice! I read where the softails from 1999-2006 had problems with the cam tensioners I didn't think to ask about the tensioners on the Fatboy but that is definitely something I'll be asking about. Any other advice for a first time buyer?

30,000 is just broken in.wholesale is 5200 retail is 7200.You figure what you think is a good deal,and stick to it.If they cave instantly,there may be more room.Can you have a wrench check it out?

Agree with all above. Strongly suggest replacing the OEM tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners. Also a good time to drop in a mild cam like SE204, S&S 509 or Andrews 26; best choice would be the 509 IMHO and all can be found used on EBay, maybe on this forum, for about $150. If cams are installed, replacing the inner and outer cam bearings at the same time would be adviseable.

The only negative on the '99-'01 models was the Magnetti Morelli EFI system; if the bike is carbed, way better.;)

I agree with the EFI system and cam tensioners Dolt mentioned. My 04 FLH had gear drives installed and it came with a mid range cam with the kit. Having maintenance records would help. Maintian those things and you'll get a lot miles. My OD reads 145,000.

Back