free website stats program too many miles? | Harley Davidson Forums

too many miles?

bikecurious

Hey,
Quick question, I'm looking to buy a bike in the next week
One that I'm looking at is a 2004 1200R
It seems decent and He's reasonable on his price. It only has 1600 miles on it...Thats where my worries set in. He couldn't have been driving it much if 1600 miles took 6 years. Could this lack of use cause any problems? Anyinput on this model in general?

Another is a 2002 1200c
He's asking a good amount for it $5000....It looks as if he takes immaculate care for his bike...only problem I have is that it has 21000 miles. Do you think this is too many miles for the price? At this mileage, am I risking having problems right off the bat?
This will be my first bike and also A daily driver, so I truly need it to be reliable.
Any input will help!
Thanks!

I agree with Hobbit. The 04 would be my choice. Alot of people buy them and dont ride them much, for alot of different reasons. The rubber mounted motor makes a big differance.

Easy call for me, low 1600 miles (like mine it was hardly broken in). The 2004 XL1200R just plain rocks...but I am a bit biased...think!
Simple carburetion, dual disc brakes, cast wheels, rubber mounted engine, trimmed up mid-section and styling...

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey,
Quick question, I'm looking to buy a bike in the next week

One that I'm looking at is a 2004 1200R
It seems decent and He's reasonable on his price. It only has 1600 miles on it...Thats where my worries set in. He couldn't have been driving it much if 1600 miles took 6 years. Could this lack of use cause any problems? Anyinput on this model in general?

This will be my first bike and also A daily driver, so I truly need it to be reliable.
Any input will help!
Thanks!

HOW MUCH $$ FOR THE LOW MILEAGE 04 1200 R ?????

YES it being the better for the RUBBER MOUNTED MOTOR.... AND LOW MILEAGE!!!!

I have a 06 1200 R and LOVE it......

THE low mileage is a PLUS on the 04..... IF it runs fine. I would JUST ride it, after changing oils..

I would use HD's 360,, 20/50 oil in engine FOR NOW(probably is what is in there) ASK!
until MORE miles on it then change to a full synthetic oil.

USE the HD oil filter also...

In the tranny and clutch box (they share the same bathroom),,,, I would use AND STICK WITH Formal + from HD... a good lube for that.(.)

I would think the OILs have not been changed MORE than ONCE and ASK...

I ALSO wondered ???
what part of the world you are in???

The sport 04 with the rubber mounting would be GREAT for a EVERY DAY BIKE ..... THINK LIKE NEW and NOT worn enough to call it uSED....

that is a good find and has it been inside and cared for?

my 2006 looks like it came off the show room floor, HOPE the 04 looks the same! The 1200R is a FUN RELIABLE BIKE WITH LOOKS and it will move when YOU twist the right hand..

HOPE the weather is warm where you are.. let me know please..

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
He originally was asking $5,300
I brought up that the N.A.D.A was at about $4,200 so I'm sure we'll be able to work something in between...I was gonna aim for $4,700 with him replacing the back tire due to a flat.
Does this sound fair?
It seems like he just let it sit, could lack of use have caused any problems to the engine that a good flushing couldn't fix?

I'm in the US

I would go with the 2004. The rubber mounted engine makes a huge difference. Like they said change the fluids, pop in new spark plugs and ride it. Ride safe and enjoy it!

He originally was asking $5,300
I brought up that the N.A.D.A was at about $4,200 so I'm sure we'll be able to work something in between...I was gonna aim for $4,700 with him replacing the back tire due to a flat.
Does this sound fair?
It seems like he just let it sit, could lack of use have caused any problems to the engine that a good flushing couldn't fix?

I'm in the US

i don't go for the NADA price... as for the LOW miles and I would say you are right on about where it would be A GREAT BUY FOR YOU NOT SO GOOD FOR HIM
other than sitting IT IS ALMOST A NEW BIKE... where did it sit INSIDE?

TIRES can go flat JUST FROM SITTING...

signed....BUBBIE

I live in Arizona so The elements aren't very harsh moisture wise...He had it covered by a car port with sheets over it.

I live in Arizona so The elements aren't very harsh moisture wise...He had it covered by a car port with sheets over it.

I have a house in Sunsites Az. but right now I'm up here in washington state and believe it or not it is as warm today as AZ. Got a 95 mile ride in..

I hope you can get the sporty as I KNOW you will enjoy it.. riding everyday down there is still a challenge...

do you mind saying your town? or YOU CAN send me a private msg...

I'm going to sell up here HOPEFULLY spring time and go at it full time in Az.
I love the cochise stronghold area and right out my back door is a OLD rutted road up over the dragoon mt range into Toumbstone... 23 mi away or +40 by paved roads.

ON A THREAD,
Had some one planning to ride on HD's from east coast to west wanting to know a little about riding across the border into mexico.. I think they were out of OHIO..... had some pretty good post yea and neigh..

How did you find this web site? IT IS THE BEST ONE , BAR NONE
GOOD MODERATORS AND GREAT MEMBERS HERE.

signed....BUBBIE

Back