free website stats program Too loud man? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Too loud man?

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. The point is that I personally like the sound of the pipes. I just don't fancy getting nicked! Spoke with a policeman friend of mine yesterday and he said "you'll probably be OK with the locals (cops) but Traffic will probably have a different outlook!". Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

On another pint though, I love the bike overall, great fun. The sticky out bits on the footpegs seem to touch down early though. Also, why do HD use (EDIT) fasteners, if I was in charge at HD I would be looking at longevity and the possibility of stainless steel fasteners where possible. BZP is cack, so is anything unplated. I seem to spend a lot of time spraying almost everything with WD40.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
On another pint though, I love the bike overall, great fun. The sticky out bits on the footpegs seem to touch down early though. Also, why do HD use (EDIT) fasteners, if I was in charge at HD I would be looking at longevity and the possibility of stainless steel fasteners where possible. BZP is cack, so is anything unplated. I seem to spend a lot of time spraying almost everything with WD40.
The feelers on the footpegs can be taken off as they can be distracting, as for the cheap fasteners (the naked steering stem nut to name a few) are quite frankly a disgrace, swap them out or cap them with after market, the suspension on the nightster is also next to worthless, I hope you've got a fat cheque book handy your gonna need it...:newsmile063:

Regarding the fasteners, has anyone swapped them for something better? If so, where would you start (and where would you end!) this task?

You can just start with the ones that bother you the most...remember that you may have to the substitute SAE (US or Imperial) fasteners to Metric equivalent if entire nut, bolt and washers permit you to do so. Blind mate connectors probably are SAE and cannot be changed, except one made out of stainless (preferred) or chrome plated versions are found. But in either case if they are special grade 8 or heavy duty high stength types, you may have a hard time finding stainless or "fancy equivalents.

Also HD does sell "dress up" kits that cover the heads (you can put dielectric grease in the hollow part of the bolt w/ Qtip to preven moisture/rust), under the fancy bling, being as you are in England where rain is a rather well used "4 letter word."

It never rains here in the UK! How could you be so rude! I have had the Nightster since 5th Jan 09 and due to the continuous unbroken sunshine and superb weather I can tell you I have been able to cover nearly 200 miles to date. So there.:p

Update - here we are 5 months down the line and I have just ordered the quiet baffles for my Short Shots. I love riding the bike but have found that the noise is a bit OTT. I'll let you guys and gals know my thoughts on the quiet baffles as soon as.

Good looking ride.

After a couple of weeks without, I installed the quiet baffles on my V&H and I love the new sound, not a great deal quieter but a much better sound, lower pitched and more rounded at all Rpms, you'll love it.

Yep............. put the quiet baffles in tonight and took the bike for a quick ride AND ..... yes, I must admit that the sound is better. Not quiet, I didn't expect quiet, but more acceptable. Seems to take the edge off it and produces a more refined engine note. I think I should now drop the tickover revs a little.

Back