free website stats program Too lean? Re-map? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too lean? Re-map?

JDyna

I bought my 2006 Wide Glide about a month ago. The motor is stock with the exception of Samson slip-on mufflers.

As it is it pops like a firecracker on decal, so I ordered a pair of IED’s to richen things up a bit.

I also have an Amsoil air filter on the shelf I would like to install. I know this is supposed to flow better than the stocker but reading the forums I have not been able to determine what to compare it to and whether it will have a significant difference on the airflow.

Can anyone give me some help deciding on what to do to make my bike run its best with this setup being Samson slip-ons, Amsoil airfilter, and IED’s?

Should I consider taking the IED’s off and takeing it to the stealer for a rem-map with the filter and mufflers then putting the IED’s back on?

I would not mind having more power but my primary concern is having my bike run as good as it can and keeping a little coin in my pocket. Right now I know it is too lean and that’s why I ordered the IED’s but I was concerned that even with them on when I throw an airfilter into the mix it would still be too lean especially in open loop when the IED’s do not make a difference.

Any comment is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would go for a tuner of sorts to have the adjust ability of the fuel over the IED's. They only work in cruise mode and nowhere else. The fuel map usually needs fuel added in more than one area and in some cases fuel removed also.

The amsoil filter is probably not much more than the stock filter, not familiar with that unit, I don't use amsoil products. If it flows any more than the stock nit, this will also lean out the mixture and cause more popping on decel as well as a lean condition. Check the exhaust gaskets for a leak also that would cause the popping.

I would shelf the IED's and get either a dyno tune done with a reputable tuner using the SERT/ PC III or go for a TFI if you want to richen it up across the board without the expense and dyno runs.

The main reason I picked up the Amsoil filter was because it was a dry element and reusable. Looking at it it does not have a significant amount more surface area than the stocker. They do claim it flows more but I take that with a grain of salt.

I was going to stay fairly mild as far as the mods for the time being. I was looking at the TFI or a dyno tune in the future when I can spend the cash for a full exhaust and a full aircleaner set up. I guess I was looking at the IED's as a cheap alternative for the time being since I knew the bike needed something and because I can't help but play around with it a little.

Having never modded a bike before I do not know what goes into a dyno tune. There is a nearby indy shop with a dyno (dynojet/powercommander) that is supposed to be pretty good and I thought about dropping by on Saturday to see what they could offer. In most cases is a dyno tune simply a download they do at the shop or do I have to purchase additional boxes or scanners? Also, if the IED's do not work for my current lean condition would I be able to utilize a a dyno tune or TFI with my mild upgrades or will I need more air.

The main reason I picked up the Amsoil filter was because it was a dry element and reusable. Looking at it it does not have a significant amount more surface area than the stocker. They do claim it flows more but I take that with a grain of salt.

I was going to stay fairly mild as far as the mods for the time being. I was looking at the TFI or a dyno tune in the future when I can spend the cash for a full exhaust and a full aircleaner set up. I guess I was looking at the IED's as a cheap alternative for the time being since I knew the bike needed something and because I can't help but play around with it a little.

Having never modded a bike before I do not know what goes into a dyno tune. There is a nearby indy shop with a dyno (dynojet/powercommander) that is supposed to be pretty good and I thought about dropping by on Saturday to see what they could offer. In most cases is a dyno tune simply a download they do at the shop or do I have to purchase additional boxes or scanners? Also, if the IED's do not work for my current lean condition would I be able to utilize a a dyno tune or TFI with my mild upgrades or will I need more air.

To sum it up, the dyno tune will usually maximize engine output but a tuner is needed to accomplish this like the PC III or SERT and many runs on the dyno to dial it in. There's an excellent post in the fuel injection area from Doc1 on the forum about tuners and what to ask them.
They can adjust many different areas of the fuel and timing also cylinder trim too form front to rear. If you check the self help forum under fuel injection, it will tell you some of the differences between tuners. The key thing to remember is the tuner himself and his capabilities.

Back