Too big for a 48?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Mavagrand, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Recently sold my FLHTC, looking to get another Harley. I really like the 48 and, as my long distance riding days are over, think it will be a great around the town ride. However, I'm 6'1" tall and weight 230lbs, I'm afraid I'll be cramped on the bike. Anyone my size ride a 48? If so, how does it feel?

2. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

Does it have mid controls? If so you could at least put forward controls on to help. And I would put better shocks anyway. You'll probably feel cramped and think it's a hardtail no matter what coming off an FLH, though.
    [​IMG]

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Uh oh! That didn't take long......:D

If it were me and being of larger stature, I would be looking for a Softail....
    Haven't been able to convince anybody to let me ride their Sporty (and I understand) but it feels really small to me..

4. danthern

danthern Active Member

My wife had one....she got a fatboy

5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I rode a 48 down at Crystal River Harley when they first came out. I'm 5' 10" and it did feel pretty small. It was a very good handling bike.

6. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

OK. Here's the story. I was working a deal with Brandon Harley when I ran across an ad from a local Yamaha dealer. They had a 2015 Star Bolt for sale, asking $4999.00, I went and rode the bike. It's nice. Has a 950cc motor and handles well. Bought it. I preferred a Harley but couldn't resist the price on this Yamaha. So.....I'll still be on this website. :) made too many friends over the years...

7. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Congrats on the new scoot Mark, not to worry your back on 2 wheels.:D

8. coopernicus

coopernicus Junior Member Contributor

Stars are nice bikes. Had a star stratoliner for five years and never had a problem with it. Have fun on the new bike.

9. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Congrats on the new ride Mark.

10. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Thanks, guys. Had it for a few days now, she's a nice ride. Noisy valves though.