free website stats program Tom Tom or Garmin GPS | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tom Tom or Garmin GPS

We used a Tom Tom this spring, and let it plan the entire 1,850 mile trip to the Laughlin River Run. It worked great, and is easy to use. They make a lot of models, so picking the right one for you will take some research.

I have the Garmin Conquest unit, swap it between both bikes. Using their trip planning software, MapSource, it is very easy to plan a road-by-road, turn-by-turn trip, then download it into the unit. Several trips, or stages, can be stored. I loaded my entire 48 state tour this summer into it and only had a couple of glitches, nothing bad. You can also use the HOG Trip Planner if you are a member. Routes from the planner can be downloaded to the Garmin's and most other units.

Thanks for that info Jake. Most of my riding is day riding, but I plan out very intricate backroad trips. I can ride 250 miles, but never be more that 50 miles from home as the crow flies. Georgia has so many interesting roads that I seldom take the same ride more than twice in as many years. I would like something more "sophisticated" than my taped to the windshield directions. A GPS may be in my future.

Thanks for that info Jake. Most of my riding is day riding, but I plan out very intricate backroad trips. I can ride 250 miles, but never be more that 50 miles from home as the crow flies. Georgia has so many interesting roads that I seldom take the same ride more than twice in as many years. I would like something more "sophisticated" than my taped to the windshield directions. A GPS may be in my future.

Then Breeze, may I suggest the following:

'intricate back road trips' means way points, programming several
destinations or roads into your trip.

so plan a trip on paper in your regular way, then hit the stores,
and get the staff to hand over a demo, and try to program a trip from a couple of different units.

Whatever doesnt make you crazy, buy it. :)

Riding in Europe, with different languages and poor street navigation,
wont leave home without it...

Then Breeze, may I suggest the following:
so plan a trip on paper in your regular way, then hit the stores,
and get the staff to hand over a demo, and try to program a trip from a couple of different units.
Whatever doesnt make you crazy, buy it. :)

Well that just makes too much sense! :small3d007:
That's what I'll do when it's GPS time. Thank You!

i have both and both have their ups and downs the garmine has a bigger screen which is nice but shorter battery life than my tomtom it that matters to ya

also the volume is louder on tomtom but voice seems clearier on Garmin if you listen to it

other than that i think they are about equal

Back