free website stats program Toluene | Harley Davidson Forums

Toluene

173ABN

I was in the hardware store buying some paint and was wearing a harley shirt and a guy ask if I rode and said he was buying a gallon of Toluene to mix with his fuel for his bike. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before. There aint no way I would put this in mine but just wondering

i never heard of using it as a fuel additive so i googled it;
from Wiki
Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s

i think there has been a lot of changes in fuel tech since the 80's no way i would use it

from Wiki

i think there has been a lot of changes in fuel tech since the 80's no way i would use it

I remember my dad putting moth balls in the gas tank of a 60's era Buick we owned. Dad said it made the car run better. We had the car for years so who knows.??

Toluene, aka, methylbenzene, has been used as a fuel enhancer for quite some time mostly as a cleaner for varnishes which build up in the fuel system. A lot of the early fuel system additives used to or still do contain toluene. Mothballs, mostly napthalene were used widely in the 60 for octane boosters. I would not reccomend either in todays engines. JMO

I like the stuff my self and have used it Both in my Paint and While I had Extra, put a little in my 11+ compression sportster way back..

Toluene WILL WIPE the OIL Off and Out of the cyl walls and May cause damage if too much is used in the gas.

I used it to CLEAN OFF unwanted Oils on bare metals Before a paint-job.
It also Helps Dry the paint early on..

Yes it is an OCTANE BOOSTER... SLOW BURNING..
YET, Kerosene/Diesel is easier on the motors and does work well as a "slow down the burn" and they both have Some lubrication Quality where Toluene doesn't.

signed....BUBBIE

I am no chemist but..... How would you know the proper ratio per gallon????Sounds like the making of a catastrophe to me.

I've use toluene in the past for a high compression bike. About 16 oz. to a 5 gallon tank. Added an oz. or so of MMO (Marvel). I live at a fairly high altitude. When I rode to lower altitudes I'd get some pinging. The toluene works but you must take care not to get it on paint or breathe too much of the fumes.

from Wiki

I would LOVE to have some of the OLD 1980's Gasoline. I think it was better back then. Whole different Formulation back then. Way Too much alcohol today in my book..

signed....BUBBIE

I sure wouldn't use it.

Methylbenzene, phenylmethane

Formula

C7H8

Physical properties

Form: colourless liquid
Stability: Stable, but very flammable.
Melting point: -93 C
Boiling point: 111 C
Triple point: -93 C
Critical temperature: 320 C
Critical pressure: 41 bar
Enthalpy of vaporisation: 38 kJ mol-1
Enthalpy of sublimation: 43.1 kJ mol-1
Water solubility: negligible
Specific gravity: 0.865

Principal hazards

Toluene is toxic if swallowed or inhaled. It is also harmful in contact with the skin.
Toluene is very flammable, so presents a significant fire risk.
There is some evidence that repeated exposure to toluene may cause reproductive harm.

Safe handling

Wear safety glasses.
The working area must be well ventilated to prevent the build-up of toluene vapor.
Make sure that any sources of ignition, such as Bunsen burners, hot plates and hot air guns, are removed before you start work.

Emergency

Eye contact: Immediately flush the eye with plenty of water. Continue for at least ten minutes and call for medical help.
Skin contact: Wash off with soap and water. Remove any contaminated clothing. If the skin reddens or appears damaged, call for medical aid. Note that clothes soaked in toluene will be very flammable, so should be removed in an area in which there is no risk that they might catch fire.
If swallowed: Call for immediate medical help.

Disposal

Toluene should be stored in a "non-chlorinated waste" container for subsequent disposal.

Protective equipment
Safety glasses. If gloves are required, polyvinyl alcohol is recommended.

Back