free website stats program toe/heel shifter | Harley Davidson Forums

toe/heel shifter

rdbateman

while riding yesterday the toe shifter appeared to come loose. when i tried to tighten allen it was still tight? also front linkage became disengaged? Help please.

Loosen both shifter levers and see if you are able to push further on pivot. Then tighten and see if ok. Otherwise: Some times the splines strip out. Its is caused from being slightly loose for a while. Disassembly and find out what pieces is stripped and replace. You may notice that one or both of shift levers splines are worn. You may need to replace then also.

Follow Steve's link and do the heim joint. Easy change. I now carry the 2 extra OEM shifter linkages incase someone else breaks one on the road and they need a quick fix.

Also check to make sure both shift levers are tight on their respective spline shafts. These can be loose and the same affect happen with the toe/heal levers seeming to be loose. If the rear lever is stripped out (the one on the tranny), I am afraid the inner primary has to come off!

TQ

The heel and toe shifters were noted for rattling also which takes its toll on the tightness of the fasteners. There are after market fixes for this, I found cutting down an old valve spring and sliding it in behind the shifter solved this problem:s

Back