free website stats program todays engine oil temp | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

todays engine oil temp

Thanks for the tips Smitty...I noticed that adapter as an additional cost on the jagg for the 09

Yes you do have to buy it separately. And the hose from Jagg is not pre-formed. The Jagg kit is sold in component form so you can pick the oil filter adapter you want (with or without thermostat). Additionally, the Tech Manager at Jagg suggested to me that I consider the braided ss oil lines from Drag Spec. Jagg does not sell these, but do recommend them to folks looking for that type of a fitting rather than the push-on hoses and clamps. See here:

Drag Specialties :: Tanks & Oil Filters > Oil & Vent Lines & Fittings > UNIVERSAL STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED OIL LINES

These fittings are compression types and work with the barbed nipples on the adapter and cooler.

TQ

Does anyone know why JAGG does not recomend a thermostat adapter? It seems most people say you need one but Jagg says no.:bigsmiley22:

Does anyone know why JAGG does not recomend a thermostat adapter? It seems most people say you need one but Jagg says no.:bigsmiley22:

Remember the last time your car thermostast failed. Maybe Jagg felt their design did not require the use of a thermostat which could eventually fail and cause more problems.

From what I understand the thermostat is a wax ball that controls the diverter valve. When the wax ball reaches temperture it melts letting the valve open.

Remember the last time your car thermostast failed. Maybe Jagg felt their design did not require the use of a thermostat which could eventually fail and cause more problems.
they say it isnt needed but if you want one they gladly take your money. I find this kinda odd being that everyone else says you need it. Maybe Glider could chime in here.

If the temp is approx 230 while your riding, it appears to be the norm. However, remember that an oil cooler isn't worth it's weight unless "air" is going through it! So at the stop lights etc.., unless your getting off your bike and blowing air through, it won't help! Just a small critical item for it to work properly. :D :D
Ugly John

If the temp is approx 230 while your riding, it appears to be the norm. However, remember that an oil cooler isn't worth it's weight unless "air" is going through it! So at the stop lights etc.., unless your getting off your bike and blowing air through, it won't help! Just a small critical item for it to work properly. :D :D
Ugly John

While the heat exchange to open air is not working as efficiently at a stoplight as moving, the oil is still being cooled by virtue of the internal turbulator fins in the tubes moving the oil heat to the external metal rather than staying in the oil flowing to the tank before being pumped back into your engine immediately. Even on the hottest day, I never saw the temperature in the tank rise over 200 deg F. The cooling works due to surface area in contact directly or indirectly via oil and all the metal conduction surfaces, eventually into the air.

Also, the additional oil capacity the oil cooler and hoses plus overall heat conducting area increase still lowers the average oil temperature substantially. My ol' Katana was the last generation UJM Universal Japanese Machine w/ 16 valve DOHC 4 cylinder with the highest state of tune Suzuki made exclusively air and oil cooled with a 1/2 sized cooler and 1/2 the cc displacement, before they HAD to go to water cooling due to EPA mandates in their mad quest to squeeze more hp out of a machine already pared thin with less metal for centralized mass chassis tuning using 15 year old technology. I think it will be "sufficient" JMO

Back