free website stats program To Re-tire or Not to Re-tire? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

To Re-tire or Not to Re-tire?

I'd just go ahead and put some nice new tires to match the new wheels.

You'd have to pay to have the existing tires dismounted and remounted.

Whereas you should be just paying for mounting new rubber to the new wheels.

Should be able to sell the old wheels to help offset the cost of the new rubber.

Get a few picks and post in the selling area or stick em on CL or Ebay. With spring here, a lot of folks looking for those parts to finish their bikes and get them on the road.

Good luck.

I also would just have new tires put on and either keep the old ones, or throw them in the 'For Sale' section. You're putting shiny new wheels on, why not put the new tires on and have piece of mind that your rolling hardware is top notch for the riding season.

I vote go with new tires. When I replaced mine I took the wire wheels to a local biker shop. They gave me $200 in store credit.

I'm also with Bubbie and Mat 60 new tires with the new wheels, the takeoffs with the usable rubber may be resold as a package on HDT (no cost other than time), or Craigslist or E-Bay..."--tis better to retire...it be a far nobler thing lest there be a Shakesperian tragedy later...!:D

Last edited:
Geez,

I guess I am outnumbered here. Seems everyone wants to spend my money on all new tires.

I'm really taking all of this into consideration. Everyone's idea of selling the stock wheels with the existing tires is a good idea but from what I have heard locally from others, most stock wheels have no resale value. They are give-aways. Yea, maybe with the tires installed, the wheels might sell. I'm going to put an ad on craigslist.org and see if I get any interest. This will help me decide what to do.

The bike isn't going to dealer any time soon since the weather is too cold (for me) to ride unless there is a miraculous change in temperature. Whatever happened to "Spring"? UGH!

Installation of new tires would be the most efficient way to go for 2 reasons:
1) Updating bike with new wheels and used tires will detract from update.
2) Why run the risk of damaging the new wheels in a couple of thousand miles by having to remove from bike, and then remove and install new tires and reinstall wheels.
Just try to sell old wheels and tires to cover the cost on the new tires only. Then you can have peace of mind that you did not spend anymore cash than the price of the wheels.

Go new! Old tires are just a problem waiting to happen plus why take a chance on damaging the new rims with additional tire changes. I recommend the new Dunlap 407 and 408 tires that come on the new baggers, they have the hard center and softer sides. I have 17,000 on them and they still look pretty good. In the fall the dealer said they are good for at least another 3,000 but when the snow is gone they are too. I didn't want my baby sitting on new rubber all winter, fresh shoes for spring if it ever gets here, -5 last night and still 10 inches of the white stuff. Global warming?

I wonder what he did with his tires?. Oh by the way,,,I am getting SNOW tommrow..Next week we may get some more snow..Sorry ..I just cant help it.:(..THANK YOU

There is NO way I'd put old tires on my new wheels. Tires and brakes... two things I don't mess with... way too important... not worth saving a couple of dollars.

Back