free website stats program To paint, or not to paint ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

To paint, or not to paint ???

astrorock

hello all, i have been wrestling with this one for a while and wanted to get some opinions.. i have a 99 custom, the paint is perfect for the most part. recently i took off the leather tank panel, and swapped the seat for a solo.. there are some bad spots in the paint from all the rubbing.. my dad is a painter, and his friend does grafix and stuff on bikes, so i can get a custom paint job for about 300 in materials.. i say all that to say this, should i do a really nice custom paint job, or stick with the factory paint?? the factory paint is really nice and i like the colors, but the rest of the bike is in show condition..

Pros = One of a kind custom paint that noone else should should have. Make
bike stand out in the crowd.

Cons = If you plan on selling it you have to find someone that likes what you
have done with the paint.

But this is JMO, it is your bike and your money only you can decide. Me personally I am not doing anymore custom paint jobs, instead I am buying a color that I like. My 5 UC, I would never think of changing the color, but again this is my .02 Good Luck.

Ever consider getting another set of sheetmetal custom painted and putting the stock paint set away? You can get fenders for cheap on ebay, tanks not so cheap, but reasonable. Then when you sell, you'll be able to satisfy any buyer.

Ever consider getting another set of sheetmetal custom painted and putting the stock paint set away? You can get fenders for cheap on ebay, tanks not so cheap, but reasonable. Then when you sell, you'll be able to satisfy any buyer.

I would have to agree with this. Custom paint is a personal thing.Odds are your perfect paint job,would not be the same for a perspective buyer.

the work would be done perfectly, my dad restores 100k$ vintage cars and his friend is well known in the Midwest for his outstanding work on bikes.. I'm not sure what I'd get, which is why i wont do anything until I'm 100% sure of what i want.. and I'm not worried about resale, I'll never sell it..

IMG_2705.jpg

Sounds like you really are unsure and that you like what you have as far as paint ,except for the blemish from your leather , So why dont you just ghost in some graphics on what you have a good graphic artist will be able to cover up that wear mark ,and this way you are just enhancing and updating what you like already , then again 300. for custom paint is like a price from 1975.

the work would be done perfectly, my dad restores 100k$ vintage cars and his friend is well known in the Midwest for his outstanding work on bikes.. I'm not sure what I'd get, which is why i wont do anything until I'm 100% sure of what i want.. and I'm not worried about resale, I'll never sell it..

View attachment 5110

You didn't show us the rub marks so I will assume that they are like the one I found under the leather cover on my '94 FLSTC. I used a little rubbing compound and then applied mothers scratch remover followed by a good wax bar and Gold McGuires wax. You really have to know it's there to see the rub. If you are unsure that you want to change the color, try this first.

hello all, i have been wrestling with this one for a while and wanted to get some opinions.. i have a 99 custom, the paint is perfect for the most part. recently i took off the leather tank panel, and swapped the seat for a solo.. there are some bad spots in the paint from all the rubbing.. my dad is a painter, and his friend does grafix and stuff on bikes, so i can get a custom paint job for about 300 in materials.. i say all that to say this, should i do a really nice custom paint job, or stick with the factory paint?? the factory paint is really nice and i like the colors, but the rest of the bike is in show condition..

Seems like a no brainer to me. Get it painted. I got new tins off ebay and a heartland kit so I have the original tins if I ever want to sell the bike.
Picture_0015-1.jpg

sorry i didnt post the pix of the bad spots, i am going to have my dad buff them out and they will be perfect (with the exception of the bad spots)
the bad spots are actually indentations from something on the underside of the seat, and chips cant be buffed out. i can have him do some kind of touchup.. the shame of it is that other than a couple of paint chips the rest of it is perfect...

Nice bike boogieman!!! i like it

Back