free website stats program To flare or not to flare | Harley Davidson Forums

To flare or not to flare

kzoo

Banned
Just bought a windshield for my 04 Heritage off ebay. Not in the greatest shape, but I really just wanted the detachable brackets. I will be replacing the plastic and trims and want to know opinions as to whether to spend the extra on the flared top or not.

I am short, 5'6" on a good day, so any shield height suggestions would be appreciated as well. Never had a shield so this will be a new experience.

2 Months ago I did not know squat about windshields but having just bought one I did a lot of reading before I bought. Some folks swear by the upper flare or curve to beat the buffeting effect. Others say it distorts their vision so if you do get the flare make sure you CAN see over the top a little. Which most folks recommend being able to see over the top anyhow incase of bug residue or heavy rain. So measuring while sitting on the bike and getting the right height so that you just see over the shield at 50ft sight is crucial for limiting buffeting and all safety effects.

That is all I can tell you about it though since I'm still waiting on my new Rifle Shield to be delivered. Should be here by next Monday they say since it left CA the first of this week.

I did not get the flare, thought about it though. I got mine custom cut to 21" height since I'm 6'2". It's also a slim since I did not want it to swallow my Bob Dyna.

I hear a lot of people say you should look over your shield too, RWB. However, have to tell you... on my Ultra, with the stock height shield, I've been looking through mine for years. You're right about bugs/rain/fog... yet, the majority of the time it's caused me no issues. I'm shorter than you, so would be hard for me to see over unless I shortened mine. Instead, I just make sure to keep it clean. :)

I hear a lot of people say you should look over your shield too, RWB. However, have to tell you... on my Ultra, with the stock height shield, I've been looking through mine for years. You're right about bugs/rain/fog... yet, the majority of the time it's caused me no issues. I'm shorter than you, so would be hard for me to see over unless I shortened mine. Instead, I just make sure to keep it clean. :)

Yep I know a guy I've met on PGR rides and he looks through his. Don't think I would want the flare though if you look thru it, especially since you probably are not having a buffet issue if you are looking thru any shield.

I think I have the best of both worlds. I usually look through shield, but if I straighten up tall, I can see over it. I always try to keep it clean as well but on a 150 mile ride before gas stop, it does get dirty. When it's dirty and I see something in the road, I pop my eyes over shield to verify object.
Mine is not flared and I don't have any issue with buffeting. I can change height as well as "pitch" (how far shield leans back).

I think I have the best of both worlds. I usually look through shield, but if I straighten up tall, I can see over it. I always try to keep it clean as well but on a 150 mile ride before gas stop, it does get dirty. When it's dirty and I see something in the road, I pop my eyes over shield to verify object.
Mine is not flared and I don't have any issue with buffeting. I can change height as well as "pitch" (how far shield leans back).
I do he same as you JBC. I peer over mine to ride but I can get down a little and look through it also.
I have the stock HD windshield. I'm fine with it.

I've changed my original to a "Clearview" with the recurve feature at the top. I couldn't tell much difference, but I got it to help put my wife in the "Bubble" since she sit higher in the back. She could tell a big difference & is happier...:D Happy wife, Happy Life.

I put a taller windshield on my Street Glide and look through it. I too can straighten up just a little and see over it. This is the perfect system for me on this bike. I also have a Klock Werks that I never liked and am selling it with my bike. I also still have the smoked shorty shield that came on it new.

Back