free website stats program To Dyno or not to Dyno | Harley Davidson Forums

To Dyno or not to Dyno

I have a 2008 FLHX with PC3 Ness big sucker and Hooker slip ons.I live in the flatlands of Mass but frequently travel to the higher elevations of New Hampshire,Vermont and the Lake George area in New York.On more than one occasion after making a trip to one of these destinations the bike has died on me after exiting the highway and coming to a stoplight.It fires right back up but still, a little embarrasing when your new scoot wont stay running.
Ive brought it back to the dealer twice as they did all the installs but the problem still exists.More than one person I know have suggested not to have it dyno'd during the winter months because of air quality differences vs. summer humidity.Any truth to this?Also the place of choice seems to be R&R out of New Hampshire but Im a little concerned about having my bike Dyno'd at a shop with a higher elevation than the state I live in.
Any input on this appreciated.

The sensors on the bike and in the intake should compensate for altitude changes. I think you are looking for a different cause of the problem you have with the stalling.

Have you come up with any codes?

No codes.Initialy I thought it was the dreaded fuel filter issue and asked the dealer to check it.The production date was beyond the bikes with issues.My next thought was the parade mode was causing it as its only happened after long trips with the motor hot.It still did it with the parade mode disengauged.The last time it happened I got a big puff of smoke from the air cleaner then it fired.

They have to hook it up to the digital tech at the dealer and check the parameters of the sensors. One is obviously out of parameters. Getting them to do it is another thing.
It could be anything from a IAC malfunction to a temp sensor going bad and many more in between.

Well I guess I get to see if my good dealers and experiences plug pays off.Id realy rather not have it dyno'd.Not a big fan of watching someone beat the snot out of my bike for 2 hours.

if you really don't want to have it dynoed pull the PcIII off and go buy a TFI. it's about the same cost as a good Dyno anyway. But if the dealer did the set up I would tell them they need to stand behind their work and make the bike run right with no more cost out of your pocket.

Well I guess I get to see if my good dealers and experiences plug pays off.Id realy rather not have it dyno'd.Not a big fan of watching someone beat the snot out of my bike for 2 hours.

IF he's only doing it for 2 hours, he's not doing a very good job.

I agree with wildspirit97, get a TFI and sell the PC III. Lots less headaches.

Get rid of the PCIII.I have not seen one '08 and later Touring bike run wothout problemsa when they're installed.For the fly by wire bikes I won't recommend anything other than the SuperTuner.Sorry but they just work better than any of the others on a late touring bike.BTW the symptoms you're showing lead me to believe the bike is lean at idle.

EDIT:Oh and running the bike on a dyno isn't as bad as it looks as long as it's done right.

Back