free website stats program To buy or not to buy? | Harley Davidson Forums

To buy or not to buy?

Mavagrand

This is a 2016 Sportster Roadster at my local dealership. I am really thinking about buying this but I'm concerned I look like a dork on it cuz I'm too big (fat). What do you guys think? Do I look like an old guy desperately trying to hang on to his youth? My other Harley was a FLHTC, which I sold cause my wife quit riding with me. This bike will be used to commute probably about 40 miles a day one way. I've rode it and it's an awesome machine, just not sure about the size.

http://imgur.com/a/sBnpd

I think you should enjoy the bike and not worry about what other people think you look like

Brian

The last time I commented on body feature I pissed her off, I asked when her due date was.
But you asked and I'll share my thought.
Get a Street Glide, or a Road King, 40 mile a day might be fun for a little while, but it hurts my back looking at how crunched up you look.

If your used to a bagger,it may be tough,looks aside.I wouldn't want to go less than a Dyna once used to a touring bike.

I have to agree with jamesearl Mark, going from a bagger to the other end of the food chain might be tough.
Wouldn't want to see you buy it and have buyer's remorse after the fact.
Maybe something in between like a Dyna might be less culture shock.

P.S. this has nothing to do with how you look on it, heck, I think you look rather dapper on it.:p

Do not let the excitement of a brand new steed get in the way of making the best decision for you. That bike is a good looking steed. I believe in the long run you might be dissatisfied. Think of a long hard day at work tired and can not wait to get home, you go out to the parking lot see the Sportster get on and start home. 10 miles into the 40 miles home and you are thinking how comfortable and enjoyable your Classic was and how you got recharged riding it. Now the next 30 miles are starting to seem like you are riding cross country. Is your wife going to let you in the house when you get there caused you turned into a Bear who got stung by a Bee?????????????:eek: I bet tomorrow you will be in the car.:)
Would be a great second bike if it were me...

I have to agree with jamesearl Mark, going from a bagger to the other end of the food chain might be tough.
Wouldn't want to see you buy it and have buyer's remorse after the fact.
Maybe something in between like a Dyna might be less culture shock.

P.S. this has nothing to do with how you look on it, heck, I think you look rather dapper on it.:p

LOL. Thanks, Jack. Knew I could count on you for a good laugh. I understand the comments regarding going from a bagger to a sportster, but I've always like smaller bikes. I had a bagger because my wife rode with me, we took many road trips. she no longer wants to ride so I'm looking for a small commuter bike. I bought a Star Bolt last year that is comparable to this but I just don't like it like I would a Harley, I rode this thing, it had me smiling from the second I twisted the throttle. My only hesitation is the visual of a fat old guy riding a small bike. I don't wanna look like a clown. It felt comfortable to me for the short demo I took it on. I gotta figure this out

A short test ride won't tell much.Just the fact that your legs are going to be tucked up instead of stretched out is one of the 1st things I can think of.

This is a 2016 Sportster Roadster at my local dealership. I am really thinking about buying this but I'm concerned I look like a dork on it cuz I'm too big (fat). What do you guys think? Do I look like an old guy desperately trying to hang on to his youth? My other Harley was a FLHTC, which I sold cause my wife quit riding with me. This bike will be used to commute probably about 40 miles a day one way. I've rode it and it's an awesome machine, just not sure about the size.

http://imgur.com/a/sBnpd
check out Bodeens picture album with the sportster

Everyone has to decide what to ride, this is such a personal decision. I would not let what someone else thought I looked like get in the way of something I like. Your asking tells me you have some reservations about this style bike. As was said earlier a short ride won't tell you much but you have ridden before and you know better than anyone how you want to feel before you get on, while you're riding and after the ride. See if you can rent one for a day and test the "fun" factor and after the ride how you feel physically. I really think you will end up with a touring bike just based on what you were riding when you stopped. Spend a little cash and rent several models. The right one will "talk" to you.

Back