free website stats program Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

cburkett

Hello everyone, I am getting ready to replace the tires on my Heritage softail classic, any advice on good tires that get great mileage.

Dunlop are good tires and original equipment on harleys. Metzler also makes some good tires as well that many use to replace the Dunlops.

Thanks, I have Dunlop 404 150/80/16 on the rear now and didnt get the mileage I thought I should only got about 8000 miles out of it.

Great, I had the same question. I will replace it with the original equipment tire: Dunlop MU85B16-77H, unless someone can recommend a longer lasting tire.

I am riding a 2007 FLHRC. I am a little over 10,000 miles and almost into the wear bar.

BTW: 90 percent of my riding was two up with the little lady.

The tire question is kind like the oil question...lots of opinions. I like Metlerz I'm running the first Avon I've ever ran right now and I think it's a good tire. The Metzler ME880 gives me good mileage on my other bike but they don't make one for my HD and Avon does so that's why I'm running an Avon. I don't like Dunlops so far I've found defects on 2 different Dunlop tires that I've run.

I appreciate the insight on the defects. I just placed an order for another Dunlop. I will inspect carefully for defects. This will be the tire that gets me to Sturgis and back.
I didn't have any problems with the original tire, just wore out from normal use (over 10,000 miles and counting).

on both of them I found splits in the center of the tread pattern, They were both stock tires so I don't know how old the tire actually was. the one on my honda I found it at about 3500 miles and the one on my HD I didn't find until about 12000 miles, and it wasn't near as big as the other. It almost looked like a split from weather rot. I purchased the bike in march of 07 so I thought that to be a little early for a tire to rot. In 13 years of riding street bikes I've had one tire blow out and rode 400 miles with a nail in my tire, so now I always check my tires closely before I get on the bike and after I get off the bike.
By the way I know lots of people that only run dunlops and have never had a problem....I'm just lucky I guess.

I went with the metzlers, mainly on recommendations from this forum and from the guys I had to put the tires on. I would give more of an opinion, but I shelled out the $$ & got the tires, but haven't got to ride much. :( I do have @ 60 miles on them and so far so good.

Back