free website stats program Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

The D402s provided good service, got 15,000 miles each out of 2 rear tires with a fairly even mix of solo and 2 up. The front comfortably went 30,000. My machine is an 08 Road King, the tar strip following, rut following might be equally due to the frame and the tires, I'll never know. While disconcerting at first, the road surface caused wobble was never a problem. The rear tires wore well but at 1/2 tread wear (about 7500 miles on each one) they began sing or howl in turns. The first time around, I wasted a lot of time looking for bad bearings, fiddling with belt tension and then just lived with it. Upon installing the new rear tire, the noise was gone, but returned at about the 7500 mile point. Other than the noise, the Dunlops were trouble free. I don't expect sport bike curve carving performance out of the bike or its tires and was never startled by a break in traction. OTHERS have reported poorer mileage out of the almost all other brands of tires. I have no personal experience to pass on in that department. I now have 6000 miles on Dunlop Elite 3 front and rear tires and am well pleased so far. Just in the last few miles, I am starting to get a bit of surface reaction (tar strips and seams in the road) that was totally absent for the first 6k miles. They seem to wearing quite well and are running quietly so far.

Regardless of the tire on which you settle, check out the price at Bikebandit dot com. They are highly competitive and ship quickly. All of the tires I have gotten from them have been very recent manufacture, all less than 6 months old. (Sidewall manufacturing codes, 4 digits, the week, 1 through 52 and the year in last 2 digits)

Have always bought mine at Motorcycle Superstore Metzlers 880's, fast shipping, never more than 2 days after purchase.

I went through a period of checking out different tires, cheap, expensive, foreign and domestic. and for me found that metzlers are good, but perelli were just as good. for a cheap tire you cant beat shinko 722. got great mileage, great handling, and low cost.

I got Dunlop E3s on my ultra. I like them better than the stock HD tire. Gottem at Motorcycle Superstore. Like 278 for 2 tires to my front door.

Back