free website stats program tires | Harley Davidson Forums

tires

razor10

have an 02 ultra that needs a new rear tire whats everyones opinon on which is the best replacement thanks for any input

Harley stamped Dunlop 402. How close is the front? Changing both will make the bike ride like new..:)

Tough question to answer without knowing what you want from them, long mileage, aggressive cornering, wet weather performance. How happy are you with what's on there now?

My only complaint about the D402s was a whine, especially on turns, starting at the 1/2 tread ware point. First time, I was concerned about a bearing going bad, or some other malfunction in the machine. Finally replaced the tire and the ride was smooth and quiet for about 7500 miles, then the noise started again. Only have 4500 miles on a set of E3s so I don't know YET if they will do the same thing or not.

have an 02 ultra that needs a new rear tire whats everyones opinon on which is the best replacement thanks for any input

Most manufacturers do not recommend mixing tire brands or tread styles. If you only need to change the rear, then replace with same tire brand and tread style as on front.

If you are ready to replace both front and rear, then there are about 5 or 6 major manufacturers that will make the size tires for your bike with the appropriate load rating. I have switched from the Dunlop D402s to the AVON Venom series. The next full change will be to the Pirelli Night Dragons. After that I will try the Metzler 880s. The choice is yours and it depends on riding style, priorities (grip vs. longevity), etc.

I select my tires from the Motorcycle Superstore online, although I order on the phone. Ordering on the phone lets me ask the CSR to have the warehouse check the tire manufacture date for the two they want to send me. I do not accept shipment of tires to me that are already over a year old. I take my wheels and new tires to a metric shop for mounting and balance (about $35/tire).

TQ

I have Avon venom x fitted to my bike they seem to have better grip in the wet than the d 402 and are a wee bit smoother on the ride

Brian

I run Avon Venom on both bikes, FLSTC and FLTRI. 10 to 12,000 mi with great traction and excellent rain tire.

The Dunlop 402s are good long lasting tires. My experience has been that I can get around 15,000 from the rear tires and I just changed my first front at 32,000 miles.

Running proper air pressure is most important to get the best tire life.

that, and staying outta the throttle. LOL. I gotta try those Venom. I didnt get 5k outta the last dunlop 402.

What tires are you using now... and how do you feel about them?

If you are happy with the OEM, D-402, why not stick to what you have?
If you don't like them... there are many alternatives to select.
Me? I'm all for the Dunlop Elite-3....

"Best tire" is pretty subjective.... without more qualifers

Back