free website stats program Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

Need to get some new rubber this year for my Electra Glide, and was looking for some opinions on brand. What do you guys think? thanks

Need to get some new rubber this year for my Electra Glide, and was looking for some opinions on brand. What do you guys think? thanks

You really only have a choice of about half a dozen brands. What is important is:

• Load rating (I go with min 72 front and 77 rear)
  • Speed rating (at least H)
  • Correct size
  • Manufacture date
On the last point, I let the distributor know I will not accept a tire over a year old. Your ride, you decide.

TQ

How's that working out TQ? I think it's a great idea - going to do that next time! THANKS!!! FYI - bought my last rubber from J&P

How's that working out TQ? I think it's a great idea - going to do that next time! THANKS!!! FYI - bought my last rubber from J&P

I switched to AVON Venoms (AM41s and AM42s) last time I was changing. Just put on a new rear tire (second one).

I changed away from Dunlops due to the problem with cracking in the water channels (mine was on my rear tire) that seems to be an issue with the D402s. I like the AVONs, but the compound is pretty soft (thats why they grip well).

I am going to try the Pirelli Night Dragons the next time I need to change both front and rear tires.

TQ

JDGreen454...Doc and TQ have you covered. The deal is how confident you are to remove the tire assembly and take in to metric, indy and if not take to a H-D dealer you trust to do the R&R correctly without drama "guaranteed." You did not say how "young" your ride is an if it is under warranty. :D

Like TQ I also switched to Avons knowing the wear would be faster due to the softer compound. I like the soft tire for my environment. I have and Indy here whos installed price cant be beat.

Bodeen

BTW, when you change tires away from the Dunlops, go with THAT new tires' manufacturers recommendation for air pressure settings, NOT the original equipment specs. As an example, my AVONs need to be at 40/46. Look at the Tire Manufacturers website and find the tire pressure recommendation for the tires you put on your bike.

TQ

Hey, Seems everybody NEW Forgets to include enough information..
What Year is the bike?
Is it OK for new members to have that LISTED under their Avatar???? I don't know BUT it seems that a lot of New-bees Don't list ENOUGH there.
This is important IF it is a Early or Late model.... I don't mind to Answer but 'm not going to dig for that information every time... SO PLEASE give ....

signed....BUBBIE:D

Three of the BEST tires/tyres i have used, are Original Dunlops , I have 09 FLHR with close to 20,000 miles on it (big tyre from HD on the rear) BOTH have More Miles SAFELY left on them.

The AVONS i liked on several uses are the Venom X.. Good wear and nice ride..

I like the metzler 880 tires on the dyna and sport BUT the matching front tire for the narrow dyna 100/110 was a QUICk wear tire because it was not designed with a lot of tread as I felt Needed...

I stick with these 3 makes and have had Good results from them.
Use the same brand tire for the front and back Better and a Matched set is safer. Tread design and rubber compound on Both should be the same.

signed....BUBBIE

Back