free website stats program Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

Will do!! Never to late for a trip to Thailand though! Great riding climate! Just bought a new camera, hope the pictures will come out ok!
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's a long long ride with your Ultra... I'll do my best to give the trip/country justice with some pics then!
WAP.gif

I would run the recommended air pressure. Lowering it is not going to help you on wet roads, but it will shorten the life of your tire.

For the 402 Fans. Run set of E3s once, I think you will change your mind. E3s are great on wet roads. They wear 30 to 40% better then Metzlers ME880s. I have ran all of these tires (402s, ME880s, and Dunlop E3s.) Just had a new rear installed this week after 12K on the last one.

There is not a 150 equivalent, which will be a problem for some.

Made it back safely! Even through about 100 km flooded roads in complete darkness... Thank god I changed my tire before the trip! I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I get organized...
Jonas, what brand are these E3's? Dunlop as well?

I would run the recommended air pressure. Lowering it is not going to help you on wet roads, but it will shorten the life of your tire.

I have ran all of these tires (402s, ME880s, and Dunlop E3s.) Just had a new rear installed this week after 12K on the last one.

Hypothetical question... Assuming mileage would be equal on all three tires. Assuming cost to you for the tires is Free. Assuming fit is not an issue, they make your size. You just want the best performing tire and for no other reason.

Of the 3 you listed, which one would you pick. And why does lowering shorten a tires life.

Hypothetical question... Assuming mileage would be equal on all three tires. Assuming cost to you for the tires is Free. Assuming fit is not an issue, they make your size. You just want the best performing tire and for no other reason.

Of the 3 you listed, which one would you pick. And why does lowering shorten a tires life.

If wear was not an issue I would rank my experience with E3's and ME880's equal. I would still go with the E3's. I have never heard of someone who has ran an E3 switch to something else of have something bad to say about them.

I did have a rear flat with a ME880. Was on a trip on the interstate. It was late in the afternoon. Just enough time to have the bike towed to Fayetteville, NC Harley Davidson and have the tire changed(they were great). I have no idea why it went flat. It was towards the end of it's life. I wish I would have investigated what happened. But it was like 150 degrees out and I was frustrated.

Not sure about the air pressure question. But low pressure will cause the tire to wear weird, cup and shorten life. Some maybe worse then others, I think ME880's are ones that air pressure is critical.

Back