Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by ThaiTed, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ThaiTed

ThaiTed Banned

Just put on D 402's, and then just after that heard some rumors that they are useless in the wet... ANy comments?

2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

Hello Ted mine seem good in wet,,,,but its still water ei; slippery

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I have no complaints. My 402's seem to stick ok on wet roads.

4. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I just put them on my wife's bike, so I trust them.

5. ThaiTed

ThaiTed Banned

That's good to hear!! I am leaving tomorrow for a trip of 800 km (app 500 miles) and we currently have the monsune rains comming, so I want to know I have a good grip!! Anyway, I guess as always, it's probably more up to me how I handle the bike and being able to stay alert and think ahead...
    Someone also mentioned that if you lower the pressure a bit, from the recommended 40 down to something like 35 it will give yuo a better grip on wet roads?? Is this true?

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

ThaiTed...no worries, as long as there is descent amount of tread 1/16" or more the better in the wet. Racing tires for the wet are not slicks but have "cut" grooves to prevent hydroplaning by letting water squeeze into the cut grooves and away from the contact patch. This is the reason you do not want bald tires in the wet...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. ThaiTed

ThaiTed Banned

Great! I don't have that much experience, and i believe that having confidence in your bike makes you a better driver! The last thing I wanted was to get a comment that my new tires are useless, just before my first long ride on this bike!

Thank you guys! You made my trip and regained my confidence!!!

8. ultrat

Have safe trip Ted.,.,.,.,,.

9. ThaiTed

ThaiTed Banned

Thanks Ultat! I am going to join a HOG event called the SEA HOG (South East Asia) event in Krabi and then on to Samui Island Bike week! After that back home to Phuket. Should be lots of fun!! I still hope for nice weather, but I feel confident about my tires in the wet as well!!

10. ultrat

dint forget the pictures...i am sure ill never travel to such an exotic land'''