free website stats program Tires? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires?

TQuentin1

Staff member
Someone was asking about tires the other day here on the Forum. Just got this flier from the Motorcycle Superstore. Some pretty good deals there.

Motorcycle Tires at Motorcycle Tire Superstore

Remember to check with where ever you intend to have your tires changed out. Some of the HD Dealerships in this area will NOT use rider supplied parts (including tires) for any repair or up-grade. If the rider did NOT buy the part from that Dealership, they will not service the bike.

I take my wheels and the new tires to a metric shop. They are perfectly happy to take my money and mount and balance! They charge me around $35/wheel.

TQ

Yep, you saved a lot of money there. Of course they were willing to charge cheap and cut the money from a Haley dealer. Read your receipt real close or look around the shop for a sign to disclaim any fault. My dealer charges a lot too but he checks the staright ness and alignment of the tires to the frame, etc. Yes, sir you saved a lot of money there. Fossil

Metric shops sometime will mount and balance new tire on rim if you carry in...FOR FREE...if you buy the tires from them and show them where you want them to get 'em (oft times they get it from that supplier at a wholesaler price) so everyone wins...paid about $115 for a rear tire mounted and balance (no disposal fee) and I only had to mount it onto my bike...DONE!

For those of us with the skill, ability, time and desire to work on our bikes, internet purchase of parts and supplies offer an economical way to do this. An example of this is buying tires on-line, dismounting the wheels from our bikes, taking them to a reputable shop that we have checked out, having the new tires we purchased on-line or through the shop mounted on our wheels, mounting the wheels back on the bike and aligning the wheels as specified in our HD Factory Service manual covering our bikes' model and year.

I would never suggest that buying tires or anything else on the internet is for everyone. Those folks that DO NOT have the skill, ability, time or desire to do their own work should find a Dealership or Indy bike shop that they are confident does good work on their bikes.

But regardless of whether you intend to do the work yourself or not, I strongly recommend that everyone get a HD Factory Service manual covering their bike model and year. This way you will know what SHOULD be done when you take your bike in for service. It will allow you to ask good questions that will give you another means to help evaluate the capabilities of the shop you choose.

TQ

bought my tires from there Michelin and new tires not old stock and went on the rims just fine did it myself and new it was done right not like people who have had stuff fall off the bike after stealer has done it

TQ -- very sound advice "--regardless of whether you intend to do the work yourself or not, I strongly recommend that everyone get a HD Factory Service manual covering their bike model and year. This way you will know what SHOULD be done when you take your bike in for service. It will allow you to ask good questions that will give you another means to help evaluate the capabilities of the shop you choose."

Why would HD offer a Service Manual to the public in the first place...they certainly do not make a lot of money if you consider the amount of effort to properly write, verify, technical R&D staffing and publish new set for every model for every year...frankly I am just happy they continue to offer the HD Parts and Accessory catalog for free...costs them even more with all the color pictures and such just considering the sustaining portion alone...! As you all know good customer service like this is hard to find, even though there is no hotline or online support. JMO, but more riders should take advantage of these services before even swinging a wrench. Knowledge is power...

Back