free website stats program Tires | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

I shipped my 08 Fat Boy to Vietnam in January. 9,000 miles on the stock rear tire. 3,500 on the second Dunlop D407. Picked up a Dunlop D205 on a recent trip back, was told it may do better. Rats-got 4,000 miles on it and the steel belt was wearing through, on the tail end of a long haul. That could have been a bad scenario! Lucky to have another D407. My rides may be long, but not hard, no burn outs. Ridding solo with about 30 + lbs of gear. Must be these roads!!

I will need new tires on mine, FLSTC 08, tought that I could make a choice by reading all those feed back, but I'm more mix up now on what to put as a replacement, I'll keep reading I guess:

me too... I thought I could check here and get some answers!

I have an 08 FLSTC with 14k on the original tires. the front still has some wear left but the back is almost slick. I inquired at my local dealer just a few days ago about getting metzlers. But the comments here saying they don't last as long concern me.

My last bike, a Kawasaki, had bridgestones that needed replacing after about 12k. they rode horribly I later found out - after I had put a set of metzlers on it. The metzlers just felt 100% better and appeared to be on a pace to last much, much longer. after 14k miles on the metzlers, when I sold it, those tires still looked new.

I was all set to go with metzlers now. and then an earlier poster says they don't match up size-wise, that a 150 rear is really like a 140. is this true?

I really would like to hear some more feedback from owners with metzlers. I guess I'm not hard on tires, but I just want them to be safe, not affect the gearing or mpg, and last a long time. :) I tend to ride with moderate speed and braking. Thanks...

Just put new tires on mine. I just couldn't go with Dunlops after having two with the tread split open at the center groove. Put on Avons since I had good luck with them on the Sporty.

Not all that hard to figure out.
Tires like metzelers are a softer compound they stick a little better but wear fast.
Dunlop 402's on a HD have long proven the be a great all around tire and provide good mileage. The newer bikes like the 2009's have gone to a different tire due to bikes design.
If you ride like your the next road race champion all the time, you may want a softer tire, but you will buy a lot of tires. Look around at how many HD run Dunlop 402's there is a good reason.
Smitty, (and all others) forgive me if this is the wrong place to put this. Not sure if I am supposed to start a new thread for a question that may pertain to this one.
Anyway, here goes - I can buy tires and an Indy here will install them for $70 each. - OR they will furnish tires - D404 and install for $335 total both wheels. The HD Dealer I got the bike from charges $200 to install a new $140 D402 front tire and $255 to install a new $165 D402 rear tire. There is a pretty big diff here. My question is "does the $335 sound about right for D404s installed?? And should I spend a bit more and get the D402s with the HD writing on them?

thanks
Bill

Smitty, (and all others) forgive me if this is the wrong place to put this. Not sure if I am supposed to start a new thread for a question that may pertain to this one.
Anyway, here goes - I can buy tires and an Indy here will install them for $70 each. - OR they will furnish tires - D404 and install for $335 total both wheels. The HD Dealer I got the bike from charges $200 to install a new $140 D402 front tire and $255 to install a new $165 D402 rear tire. There is a pretty big diff here. My question is "does the $335 sound about right for D404s installed?? And should I spend a bit more and get the D402s with the HD writing on them?

thanks
Bill

BILL
I used to buy my dunlop tires at the HONDA store and did have them change out on the rims for me.... I usually liked to take them off(wheels and tires) and drive them to the HONDA shop...

It seems to me I could ORDER the 402 dunlop tires from the honda shop and the only difference was they said MADE IN JAPAN with NO HD LOGO....

I did save about 150/200$ on the difference from the HD store... for both

I did use the 404 without a problem but NEVER got the mileage out of them that the D-402's gave..... BUT CLOSE.....

IF 335 BOTH wheels and on and off the bike, THAT is a good price.

signed....BUBBIE

BILL
I used to buy my dunlop tires at the HONDA store and did have them change out on the rims for me.... I usually liked to take them off(wheels and tires) and drive them to the HONDA shop...

It seems to me I could ORDER the 402 dunlop tires from the honda shop and the only difference was they said MADE IN JAPAN with NO HD LOGO....

I did save about 150/200$ on the difference from the HD store... for both

I did use the 404 without a problem but NEVER got the mileage out of them that the D-402's gave..... BUT CLOSE.....

IF 335 BOTH wheels and on and off the bike, THAT is a good price.

signed....BUBBIE
thanks BUBBIE, I think I will go ahead and give it a try. I also asked the dealer I bought from IF my 2 year extended warrenty covered the cam chain adjusters and he said YES. That is a big relief. However, while talking with the service dept the guy told me it was not a big deal -- that they would make plenty of NOISE when going out and just bring it in for replacements. - no big deal - he said. He said they dont even open up the engine to inspect them unless they are making noise. Sorta like "if it's not broke - dont fix it" attitude. Should I be concerned? 2001 with 42K miles - OR let the dealer worry with it?

Bill

Guys, just wanted to add my two cents here, and also argue with smitty901.
The Dunlop D series tire i really think stinks. Heres why:
When i go around a corner with a D series _rear_ tire and hit a bump... On a heavier bike i experience a wobble after hitting the bump. I'm not sure what causes it, but it makes me feel unsafe. I went with dunlops on my bike during my last tire change, but went with the E3 series tire.. The problem is virtually gone.

I've ran Metzlers on the bike before, and this is the part where i argure with smitty. The Metzler ME880 series tire actually has a _harder_ compound than most tires, and i seem to get more mileage out of them. Also, i love the Metzler tire feel, i never get any wobble while laying into a corner, however when i've rode on wet pavement they seem to slip a little faster than the Dunlop E3's. I've been sideways a time or two with Metzlers pulling out onto a wet road and hitting the center part of the lane where the wet oil lies.

To sum things up... Chances are we're going to pay 100-160 bucks to have our tires mounted unless we do it ourself. And i want something that will handle well, and last. I think you should consider the Dunlop elite series, or Metzlers. They cost the same to mount, few more bucks for the tire... They last, and you'll see a huge difference in the way your bike handles in the corners, especially if you ride hard.

I have 08 fatboy with a 200/55/17 bike tire,I want to put a car tire does anybody know what size tire will work,i was thanking of a 205/55or50/17

Stick with the tires made for a bike, the construction in the body of the tire is different than a car tire.

Not sure if this is average or not.....but I am running the original Dunlop on my 09 Road King. Just put 14,000 on the rear tire and I still have some tread left before the ware bars start to touch.

Don't see any reason why I would want to switch.

Back