free website stats program Tires keep losing air pressure.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires keep losing air pressure..

I have the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor on my Road King Classic so I can check my pressures with the press of a button and do so before every ride and also during the ride to monitor the pressure increase from heat so I can set the cold pressure so I get a 4 to 5 pound heat increase at the rear. This gives optimum preformance and tire life. I have found that you will get a normal lose of about 1 pound per week with air and maybe a little less with nitrogen.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better knowing this pressure lose is normal and can be expected. I will just check my tires more frequent. That Doran Monitor sounds like a slick option to have! Tks.

Here's the link to get info on the Doran TPM mentioned:

Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems by Doran

Bobbiegs - couple of questions for you.

1. How much did the motorcycle version cost? Christmas is right around the corner, after all!
2. Did the sensors affect your tire balance noticeably? Did you have to add any weights to the opposite side to get it perfectly balanced?

Thanks for the replies. I feel better knowing this pressure lose is normal and can be expected. I will just check my tires more frequent. That Doran Monitor sounds like a slick option to have! Tks.

Hoop,
Just for a story...

I had a friend that said his tyre tire pressure would leak out in a short time....

I went over to have a look and found His problem: the way he took the pressure was LEAKING more air out each time he tried to get the pressure checker on the valve stem... 3 checks a day and they were LOW AGAIN:laugh Laughingly :laugh I told Him I found the problem,,,,, Where is it? :laugh rest is History..

signed....BUBBIE

Without fail, both tires will loose about 1 PSI of air pressure per week. I check my tire pressure maybe once a month and every time I check them, they are down a good 4 psi in each. I always check and fill them when the tires are stone cold.

The only time I've run into this problem, I've found the tire valve was the culprit. Removed and replaced with a new valve (just the valve not the whole stem) and it cured the problem. I'll check my tire pressures at storage and when checked again 4 months later will be within 1 or 2 psi of what they were.
Doesn't matter if it was our cars tires or the bike, when they've been installed correctly on a clean rim most times it was the valve (or a nail) if found low on air.

Hoop; like TripleJ suggests - I've had good luck w/Nitrogen in tires...more stable element than air...

With the weather getting colder, an ambient temperature change will also cause a tire with no problems to be lower in pressure.

Back