free website stats program Tires keep losing air pressure.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires keep losing air pressure..

Hoople

Account Removed
My bike is a 2009 with factory cast HD rims. They have the factory metal valve stems with metal caps that have the sealing "O" rings inside. I have new Metzeler ME880 Marathon tubeless tires on front and rear.

Without fail, both tires will loose about 1 PSI of air pressure per week. I check my tire pressure maybe once a month and every time I check them, they are down a good 4 psi in each. I always check and fill them when the tires are stone cold.

Wish I could remember if the factory Dunlops that came on the bike did this, but I can't. But the last set of Metzelers also did the same thing.
Before I go crazy looking for a leak, would this be considered normal? Tks!

I sometimes wonder about the rubber seals on the valve stems so i replace my stems every time i change the tyre
tyre pressure can change with absolute air pressure by as much as 4 psi in this part of the world so i check tyre pressure weekly

Brian

Hoop thats probably about normal for me as well. Maybe give the Nitrogen a try and see if that slows it down. I have used nitrogen in my truck tires and that is the only benefit I really noticed using it.

I think that's about what my tires leak with a tube. All radials lose pressure faster than the old bias tires we used to run. I worked in a tire shop for about 6 winters and the owner who had been in the business for years said that was the only drawback to radials. That and longer life so he couldn't sell as many tires. :s

I don't think you'll find many tires that don't loose pressure at all. I constantly check pressures especially at seasonal changes where it's more common.

I'm with the group here 1psi a week doesn't sound out of the ordinary. With the way my shop is set up I check tire pressure before each ride.

My bike is a 2009 with factory cast HD rims. They have the factory metal valve stems with metal caps that have the sealing "O" rings inside. I have new Metzeler ME880 Marathon tubeless tires on front and rear.

Without fail, both tires will loose about 1 PSI of air pressure per week. I check my tire pressure maybe once a month and every time I check them, they are down a good 4 psi in each. I always check and fill them when the tires are stone cold.

Wish I could remember if the factory Dunlops that came on the bike did this, but I can't. But the last set of Metzelers also did the same thing.
Before I go crazy looking for a leak, would this be considered normal? Tks!

I have the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor on my Road King Classic so I can check my pressures with the press of a button and do so before every ride and also during the ride to monitor the pressure increase from heat so I can set the cold pressure so I get a 4 to 5 pound heat increase at the rear. This gives optimum preformance and tire life. I have found that you will get a normal lose of about 1 pound per week with air and maybe a little less with nitrogen.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better knowing this pressure lose is normal and can be expected. I will just check my tires more frequent. That Doran Monitor sounds like a slick option to have! Tks.

While 1 PSI loss may be normal, I would think from my experience anyway, the loss should be a lot less. Maybe next time you have tires replaced or doing wheel tire service, install new stiems or insterts. If you suspect porous casting, paint the insides with marine paint, which is an "old" fashioned performance trick (may want to spruce the exterior spokes while your at it). Just what I would do as a personal touch anyway and low cost precautionary move too. :s

Back