free website stats program Tires inflated with Hydrogen??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires inflated with Hydrogen???

Fatboy2007

Has anyone got information on using Hydrogen instead of air to inflate tires. Also using beads inside the tire instead of weights to balance tires???

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum...

NO! do not use explosive Hydrogen...think Hindenburg Airship disaster near the turn of the last century. What you are probably talking about is Nitrogen, which is 70% of the element in the air we breathe, inert (reason why it is preferred) with no moisture or oxygen which contributes to internal rusting for spoke type wheels... but not worth the money, trouble or expense, JMO.

Fatbot2007, welcome to the forum. I think you may be looking for info on Nitrogen in tires not Hydrogen as the later is explosive and the Nitrogen is not.

I have the Dyna Beads in the rear tire of my Heritage and have no complaints after 2,500 miles or so on that tire.

Do a search using the Search Forum bar at the top right of your screen and you will get all kinds of info for both of your questions :D

Of course Jack and NEWHD beat me to it again lol

i think it's snake oil. i am an engineer and literally cannot be convinced the air (nitrogen) does anything other than offering an expansion method between the wheel and the tire.
just my 2 cents.
pat in tennessee

2008 Rocker C- FXCWC
SE Stage II 103 Cu. In. Big Bore Kit (1690 cc) 3-7/8”
SE Pro 4-3/8” Stroker Flywheel and Rod Assy.
SE Pro (MVA) Heads
SE Pro 58mm EFI Throttle Body
SE 255 Cam (Torque)
SE Roller Rocker Arms
SE Roller Tappets
SE Valve Spring Kit
SE ST Spark PLugs
SE Pro Tuner Kit
Vance and Hines Big Radius Exhaust
SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit
SE Hi Flow Billet Air Cleaner
FXCW Luggage Rack Kit (Now Chrome Plated)
FXCW Seat
Custom Fabricated Sissy Bar (polished stainless steel)

If a tire on heavy equipment is run low it will create a lot of heat and if let go will catch fire inside the tire and then they are a hazard of blowing, the nitrogin not suporting combustion is suposed to be the fix, and looks like the auto ind. is following. jmo.

Our local auto repair shops pretty much use nitrogen now vs. air on tires. Can't get them rotated & balanced w/o it (included in price). For cycle, probably not as much a big deal w/regular air - I check pressure weekly so it's already part of the pre-ride safety check. Unless you're in a position to decide (i.e. tire change on bike)...I'd say no need.

Nitrogen has a different expansion rate than plain old air. Lessens the change in the tire diameter when heated. Used on race tires to control the stagger.

Back