free website stats program Tires and Wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires and Wobble

SoonerSoftail

Seems to be a lot of collected wisdom here so........
2005 Heritage, put new Avon Venoms on about 1000 miles ago. I checked everything for proper torque when I got home and a couple of times since. Check pressure at least weekly, usually more often. Checked the steering head bearings. All on those fronts is good. The problem is that the front end wobbles from about 15 to 25 MPH. Above and below that it's smooth as glass. It didn't do this with the old Dunlops.

First question is the direction of the tire correct, 2 is the tire mounted and balanced correctly, there is a mark or dot where the heavy part of the tire should line up with the valve stem. Some times the tire needs to be indexed 180 degrees to balance properly, or it has thrown a weight or is just plain defective JMO

Thanks for the replies. After checking the suggestions I'm here: Tire is on right. I raised the front off the ground, removed the caliper so there was no drag but the bearings and rotated the wheel to various positions. It never moved when let go of. If any area were heavy it should have gone to the bottom. So if it's out of balance it's not by much. Also, wheel/tire spins true and bearings feel good. I'll check the rear wheel alignment.

Thanks for the replies. After checking the suggestions I'm here: Tire is on right. I raised the front off the ground, removed the caliper so there was no drag but the bearings and rotated the wheel to various positions. It never moved when let go of. If any area were heavy it should have gone to the bottom. So if it's out of balance it's not by much. Also, wheel/tire spins true and bearings feel good. I'll check the rear wheel alignment.

After checking the rear alignment, follow the procedure in the book for mounting and aligning the front wheel. Not a biggie to remove it and put it on correctly. If you did not take the wheel off and reinstall it yourself, you do not know if it was done correctly. Worth trying.

Then with the front off the ground, bike level and tire pointed straight ahead, give the wheel a good spin and make sure the tire has not got ANY out of round or slipped belt indications. Very unlikely, but good to rule that out. Try it.

TQ

I presume that you have checked to make sure that the tire bead is seated all the way around. I had a G/W once that came from the factory withe bead not seated. I was having second thoughts about buying the Wing after trading my Yamaha XS1100.
kemo

Thanks TQ. I removed the front wheel and reinstalled it by the manual. It seems much better. I guess even my most trusted indy can't be completely trusted. Biggest reason I seldom let anyone work on anything of mine.

Along that line. I'm getting ready to do the cam conversion some wet weekend. Your posts on that are very good. Thanks.

Back