free website stats program Tires and mounting prices | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires and mounting prices

My 2008 Electragide is due for a new rear tire soon (26,000 kms) and I was quoted over $400.00 plus for rear tire replacement (includes new tire and installation) from the dealer in Vancouver BC.

I think the quote included 1.5 hours for rear tire removal and installation.

$400.00 Seems a little steep to me for one tire...

I think I will remove rear wheel myself and take it in to get the tire replaced as that is a fairly simple job and should save me a few dollars. (plus if my pride and joy ends up with any new scratches, I can only blame myself...)

I have the spoked rims and service advisor told me I would require a new tube as well. Probably a good idea as tires on a heavy dresser is not an area where one wants to cheap-out....

Just a little hard to swallow that price...

My dealer here in Peoria IL charged me around $300 for a stock 402 on the rear a couple of years ago. As others have said, buy them online and see if you find an Indy to put them on. My Indy charges $40 a wheel, if I take them off and take them to him. I bought my tires from Dennis Kirk.

A Rear Tire mounted on the bike with balancing for $125 ?..

That is a lot of work. How on earth do they make a profit.

Not sure, I assume volume. Several of our club members have bought from him and have been happy. I bought a front tire for my wifes bike from him about 6 months ago and have had no problems.

I have heard of some dealers that won't touch parts that you buy somewhere else... as for me I try to buy online, like Dennis Kirk or other, and I take to a local shop for mounting and spin balancing: $30 while I wait! Good Luck! :newsmile093:

I just installed a D402 Dunlop a couple of months ago.
Harley Dealer wanted $164.95 for the tire alone.
My local independent shop sold me the exact same tire, mounted & balanced, for $148.00 out the door:newsmile093:

Last time I had a tire changed I lucked out. The dealership was offering the Harley branded tire on sale with free mounting and balance for only $185. for the rear. Flashed a Military ID card and recieved an extra 10% off the price. I was pleased with the work and the tire. That was down here in Jacksonville, FL.. What I find is amazing is that down here if all the dealerships are owned by the same family, why do they not offer the same deal at all the shops. They each have their own speacial sales, a Saturday may consist of a ride to one shop for a tire and another for a service....Crazy.

As noted "shop around"
One INDY quoted me $250, when I asked about tires.
I asked " for both? mounted?"
He replied " no that is for the REAR tire, mounting is extra".

I just ordered TWO Dunlop Elite-3's from Jake Wilson. Ordered on Monday, were delivered on Wednesday. MU90B-16 rear, and MT90B16 front. delivered $176.98.
between the free shipping, $10 off for buying 2 tires, and the discount code.

of course.. E-3's are blackwall only, and THAT matters to some

Crete HD in Crete Il. will mount and balance your tire on your rim for $37.00 each. If the wheels are on the bike it is about $75.00 per wheel. I buy the tires when they are on-sale, and take them there when it is time for a replacement. The front wheel is a piece of cake to get off, but the back requires some work. Crete Harley is east to get to from Chicago, and a really nice dealership!

BWG...THAT is a good deal...I can't imagine the dealer is making much money, but certainly I would take my bike there to have work done, if you have had good experience with them...keep the business local!

Most dealers I have asked in past will charge AT LEAST one hour labor per wheel at an average of $85 per around me. Some will charge an hour for the front but an hour and a half for the back.

Then the charge for mounting, balance, shop supplies and tire disposal.

Tires are of course at full list and only the HD branded tires.

I have generally taken the tires to shops that have tire changing specials on specifics days of the week and you can bring your tires in with you.

If you can removed the tires, pretty easy with the service manual, and take them to the local indy with a tire changing machine, you can generally have them done for less than $40 each.

Back