Tire/Wheel fitment

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by uplandpointer, Jan 28, 2014.

1. uplandpointer

uplandpointer Member

I am doing some up grades on my 98 FLHRC. I have purchased a 21" wheel for the front. The problem is the recommended size tire for this bike does not have a load rating that fits the specs of the bike. The tire size for the wheel is 120 70r 21 but the highest load rating I can find is 68 (694lb) and the dealer ship says I need some thing around 70 (739lb). They tell me I need over 725lb or they will not mount it. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

The weight bias (front to back) is about 50/50 so the tire only needs to have a weight rating of about 1/2 the weight of your bike.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Will a 21 inch wheel and tire combo fit without any modification to steering head angle or front fender and brakes????

4. uplandpointer

uplandpointer Member

The wheel and tire combo equals the same out side diameter as the original just a bigger wheel and low profile tire.

5. Jennmarr

Jennmarr Junior Member

Find a shop that has at least a minimal grasp of physics. They should be more than happy to mount that tire for you.