free website stats program Tire wear | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire wear

krikket

I have an 08 Night Train with 11k miles. I noticed the front tire is scalloping (hi spots, low spots). When I brought it to the dealer and asked what could be causing this (I'm thinking front fork issue) they told me low tire pressure. Is this true? My manual says 30 psi in the front, so that's where I keep it! Is there anything else that could cause that type of wear?

I have the same thing going on with my 09 Ultra with 11,000 miles. I've always kept close eye on the air pressure, so I know that isn't the problem. I've kept 36 PSI as the book states.

I have had the same problem with my last two screaming eagle front tires and only get about 7,000 miles outta them until they do this, I asked the dealer the same question and he didn't have a clue.

out of balance can cause this .. im not fan of the dunlops and they seem to do it more than other tires ive seen other will have a different opinion

Really common on bagger dunlops, thats why they turned the tread around mid '09. Hadn't heard of it being as common on softails though.

hiya,iv also got the Dunlops on my 09 heritage and just wondered wot type of mileage to expect out of them,realise we all have diff riding styles but wots a ball park figure,used to jap sportsbikes,4000 rear and around 6-7 front,also anyone got an alternative to the dunlops,they seem to get a lot of bad press on here so just for the future really,p.s i would want the wide band whitewall to maintain the look,cheers

hiya,iv also got the Dunlops on my 09 heritage and just wondered wot type of mileage to expect out of them,realise we all have diff riding styles but wots a ball park figure,used to jap sportsbikes,4000 rear and around 6-7 front,also anyone got an alternative to the dunlops,they seem to get a lot of bad press on here so just for the future really,p.s i would want the wide band whitewall to maintain the look,cheers

I have an 06 Fatboy which is basiclly a Haritage without all the extras on it. Ichanged my rear OE Dunlop 401 just shy of 10,000 miles. The front still has plenty of tread on it. And by the way I really hope to make to liverpool someday to do the Beatles tour.

The 407's used on the front of the 09 baggers have a cupping or scalloping issue for sure, depending on your riding habits and road conditions. They have replaced the 407's with the new 408's for the 2010 model year and the first thing you notice is the reversal of the tread pattern. Time will tell if this new tire has the same problem.

Back