free website stats program Tire wear indicators | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire wear indicators

dkamp

I was wondering how may ride until tire wear makes the tire wear indicator ton be flush with the tread?
That is my impression of when to change the back tire, assuming no trips are began in that general wear stage.
Opinions?

I ride until the tire is uncomfortable. Sometimes it is to the wear bar, sometimes until it is almost a slick. Just pay attention to how it feels under me.

Since I have a 200 mm back tire I will change it when the wear indicators are flush with the tread. Not taking any chances. JMO

When the tread is worn down to the warning bars you will have less traction in wet conditions so just be aware in the wet / shaded areas, that's where its slippery up here.
But I would be changing my tire asap when mine is worn down to the bars.

At wear bars or abnormal ride,whichever comes first.Got 27,700 miles out of Dunlops on My 2012.Front tire cupped at 18,000 on My 2014.

I tend to change the tyres before they get to the wear bars but then we do get a lot of rain here and I like a good depth of tread
New tyres always feel good on the bike

Brian

I have a little before i'm actually on the wear indicator maybe another 1500 to 2000 miles.
I guess I will start looking for a good/ok price now.

I personally don't believe in skimping on motorcycle tires. There is only one front and one back. If either goes South, the ride can be a hand full. So inspect the tires frequently looking for any sort of problem that can ruin your day (like nails or screws, worn areas on the tire, cracks in the water grooves, cracks in the sidewalls, etc.). Make sure you keep the tires aired up as indicated by the tire manufacturer, not Harley. The specs in the Owner's Manual are for the OEM tires, and if you have replaced those with a different make, or even different model tire from the original equipment model, go by what the manufacturer recommends for that tire on your bike. Call the manufacturer's tech support for a recommendation in writing if you can't find it on their webpage. Remember to inflate to recommendation when carrying more load than just the rider.

The tires on baggers generally wear out more in the middle of the tread just because these bikes typically get more straight road riding. So make sure you inspect across the whole tread of both tires. Either roll the bike around so you have seen all the tread of both tires, or put the bike on a lift so you can rotate the tires all the way round to completely inspect the tread.

Cheers,

TQ

Back